Word to the wise

• 19 Replies

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Word to the wise
« on: July 21, 2010, 16:32 »
We pulled a "comedy" carrot at the weekend, then found all of its neighbours doing the same thing. We are reliably informed that the soil is probably too rich. We've never grown comedy carrots before and were unaware that we had inadvertantly enrichened the soil in that section too much. They taste fine, but we're getting more on the go anyway, as there is still time.

P1010003.JPG
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Word to the wise
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2010, 16:47 »
Maybe not the soil, maybe because they are obviously an Australian variety!  :lol:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

mobilekat

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2010, 18:29 »
And they look like quite happy carrots too! :D
Very often quite lost- would be more lost if I could work out where I was!- But always find my way home.....

arugula

• hic svnt leones
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2010, 19:24 »
And they look like quite happy carrots too! :D

Yes, I'm sure they are. :) Its just disappointing when we've only ever managed to grow proper shaped carrots for years. :(

nuttytart

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2010, 19:25 »
mine looked like this too. There was some rather rude ones too!

Salmo

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2010, 20:58 »
Beware. This is what comes of not growing organically.

carrot man.jpg

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2010, 21:14 »
Love it!!
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

PennyS

• My website
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2010, 21:37 »
Tee hee - they're fabulous  :D :D
Lotty holder since Aug 09... I've FINALLY finished clearing it! On with the p.lanting  ....

Trillium

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2010, 00:04 »
Argyllie, we annually manure our carrots areas and rarely get misshapen carrots, so that's not really your problem. It could be something else in the soil, or possibly too much grit distorting them, or horror of horrors - transplanting. Wouldn't surprise me if some critter was tugging at the weak tops while young and it would be enough to distort them. Distortion could also result from attacks of root-knot nematodes, or from deep and close cultivation or (more frequently) from planting in a soil that was poorly prepared. Twisting and intertwining result from seeding too thickly and inadequate thinning of seedlings.

Many folk mistakenly tag hairy carrots with manure in the soil, but it's actually a virus called aster yellows that causes it.

arugula

• hic svnt leones
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2010, 07:14 »
Thanks Trillium, that's very helpful! :)

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2010, 09:35 »
It's a shame 'That's Life' isn't on the telly any more - you could have sent them in for the comedy vegetable slot  :D

I had a few like that last year - I think because the soil was quite stoney. This year I'm growing them in boxes of spent compost and they are lovely and straight  :)
There's more comfrey here than you can shake a stick at!

http://www.wedigforvictory.co.uk/dig_icon.gif[/img]

Livinhope

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2010, 09:37 »
How boring for you.  No sexy surprises in the carrot patch. :(

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2010, 10:12 »
How boring for you.  No sexy surprises in the carrot patch. :(

Don't worry - the parsnips are growing in stoney soil - they should be fun to look at  :)

WirralWally

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2010, 10:19 »
Following what our learned friend Trillium had to say above and, because its raining and I can't be on the plot, I would like to expand on the misshapen carrot subject.

Carrots need good growing conditions and prefer a light, stone free, well drained, and fertile soil with plenty of well-rotted organic matter in it.
Rich, sandy, peaty soil provides the best condition for carrot roots to grow deeply and swell.
Plenty of manure should preferably be dug into the carrot bed several months before planting.
Never work fresh manure into the soil, as this will encourage sappy growth and forking of roots.

Carrot roots may fork, twist or double for various reasons:-

Damage to the growing tips of young carrots.
Soil insects and nematodes, feeding on the growing tips, may result in branching of roots.
Carrots need loose, friable soil to develop good shape.
Forking is caused by anything that impedes root growth. This includes stones, or heavy, compacted soil.
Other causes include soil insects and nematodes that feed on the growing tip resulting in branching of the carrot root.
Carrots twisted round each other have been growing too close together.
Carrots do not like their roots to be moved. Transplanting is not recommended; as this will usually give twisted or forked roots.
Roots can split, become hairy or tough because of moisture problems. Carrots are very sensitive to soil moisture levels. When the soil isn’t moist enough, main roots develop many small feeder roots so the carrot can soak up any available moisture more effectively. At the same time, it forms extra tissue to carry the water, so it becomes tough. But, if there’s too much moisture, carrots will often split along their whole length. This happens more often when they are close to maturity.
The key to assuring even, sufficient moisture to carrots is to ensure that the soil is rich in organic matter, which will allow it to hold moisture, but also drain well.
Carrots may produce hairy roots because of too much fertilizer. The soil should be fertilised prior to planting but not during the growing period.

Aster Yellows Disease
This disease may be the cause of hairy roots but, if it is, other symptoms will also be noticeable as well.
Aster yellows is a bacterial disease that causes young inner leaves of carrots to yellow and then form dwarf/stunted leaf clusters. Roots will probably be seen to be bulging at the crown; be stunted and develop hairy secondary roots. Affected carrots will also taste bitter.

The probable cause of hairy roots in the UK this year will be a lack of moisture or irregular supply of water to the soil.
(Although gardeners in the North West may not think that to be so right now)  :D
The successes and failures of each year keep me motivated for the following year.

arugula

• hic svnt leones
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2010, 10:23 »
Thanks WW! That's also very useful, I hoped we would get some informative replies to this. :)

P.S. Are you still hosepipe-banned?  ???

xx
Do you think its wise?

Started by Dopey113 on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post May 01, 2012, 11:48
by Dopey113
xx
Is it wise????

Started by ganno on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post March 27, 2008, 16:09
by Jeanieblue
xx
Is it wise to plant in all this rain

Started by diggerjoe on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post July 11, 2008, 18:48
by gobs
xx
What are you doing (lottie-wise) this weekend?

Started by fekq on Grow Your Own

47 Replies
Last post January 24, 2009, 19:54
by Ice

Page created in 0.44 seconds with 30 queries.