Is it wise????

• 15 Replies

ganno

Is it wise????
« on: March 26, 2008, 19:28 »
Hi all.
Is it wise for me due to current weather conditions to propagate from seed Broccoli,beetroot,swede,parsnips & carrots and have fingers crossed and pray or is there any other suggestions veg wise that i could also be starting ready for the weather to warm up? :?

nobby

• Experienced Member
Is it wise????
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2008, 19:33 »
in seed trays no probs

ganno

Is it wise????
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2008, 19:39 »
Thanks nobby i apreciate the reply  :D

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
Is it wise????
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2008, 19:44 »
apart from your snips and carrots, they really dont like being transplanted, never done swede so dont know about that, beets are fine as is broccoli.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

gobs

Re: Is it wise????
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2008, 21:53 »
Quote from: "ganno"
Hi all.
Is it wise for me due to current weather conditions to propagate from seed Broccoli,beetroot,swede,parsnips & carrots and have fingers crossed and pray or is there any other suggestions veg wise that i could also be starting ready for the weather to warm up? :?

It might not be wise but it's time, hopefully by the time they notice they were planted it'll be spring. :D

Otherwise we don't get a season again. :wink:

Can happily hold on till mid April with most of them though. :D
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

purplebean

Is it wise????
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2008, 22:03 »
I sowed some carrots at the weekend. Mainly because my son raided my seed collection looking for something he could sow. He picked tomatoes and I had to persuade him to go for carots instead

clive f

• Experienced Member
Is it wise????
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2008, 22:11 »
sow swede in small plant pot , prick out ( no i'm not being naughty ) into moduel's when large enough plant out. BUT DON'T SOW SEED UNTILL AT LEAST MAY.  :wink:

Bigbadfrankie

Is it wise????
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2008, 22:26 »
never tried carrots for transplanting but give it a go and let us know how you get on. This is not a precise science it will be ok.
always have a target
and an objective.

Trillium

Is it wise????
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2008, 22:56 »
Many moons ago I tried transplanting carrots. Didn't work. They're part of the parsley, parsnip family which totally resent transplanting due to the large taproot. If anything, you'll get a rather obscene stumpy thing.  :wink:

BigPaddy

• Experienced Member
Is it wise????
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2008, 23:00 »
Like someone else posted elsewhere I am going to give parsnips a go in the long newspaper pot thingies.

If it doesnt work I will have added compost to my plot anyway.
Patrick
Hull, East yorkshire

sharky

• Experienced Member
Is it wise????
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2008, 01:10 »
Is it OK to start beetroot in trays and transplant?

Trillium

Is it wise????
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2008, 02:51 »
Big Paddy, If you have loo rolls, they work even better as they're deeper.

Sharky, beetroots are easily started in flats and transplanted. They're a bulbous root rather than a long taproot. I've done it many a time with success.

ganno

thanks...
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2008, 09:31 »
Thanks all of you for the replies.You guys are great  :D

Jeanieblue

• Experienced Member
Is it wise????
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2008, 09:57 »
I only have cold frames - the Woolworth metal and polythene covered type. Can I still start seeds now? Or should I wait till the weather warms up a bit?  Looking forward to your help and advice. Thanks, Jeanieblue
Still glowing, still growing, still going strong!

compostqueen

Is it wise????
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2008, 11:23 »
depends on what you want to grow as there are various sowing times for the different veggies. So read the back of the seed packet and that will reveal all  :D  Some seeds can be sown in March (direct into the garden or plot soil) but it's been so cold in most of the country that it's not been worth it. Best to hold off til the soil warms up otherwise your seeds just rot off.  I sowed some spring onions when we had a couple of warmish days but they were followed by weeks of cold weather and they've not germinated. So I would have been better off delaying sowing.  I did cover them with glass but to no avail. Maybe they will show once it warms up but I doubt it and I'll have to start again.  You live and learn  :D

I think we all stress on here that reading the seed packet is the best place to start with sorting out sowing times. You could go through your seed collection sorting them out according to sowing times - month by month.  I don't cos I'm horribly disorganised but I know some peeps do

xx
Do you think its wise?

Started by Dopey113 on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post May 01, 2012, 11:48
by Dopey113
xx
Word to the wise

Started by arugula on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post July 26, 2010, 00:29
by Paul Plots
xx
What are you doing (lottie-wise) this weekend?

Started by fekq on Grow Your Own

47 Replies
Last post January 24, 2009, 19:54
by Ice
xx
Is it wise to plant in all this rain

Started by diggerjoe on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post July 11, 2008, 18:48
by gobs

Page created in 0.965 seconds with 36 queries.