best smelling/colourful herbs

• 31 Replies

Paul Plots

Re: best smelling/colourful herbs
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2010, 00:08 »
I just love Rosemary but don't tell the wife!  :lol: The smell is strong and exotic - almost oily.

Then (although you would have to bend down for this one - and not a herb)... the hefty waft of cloves from strong coloured garden pinks. There are some good, bright red ones.

Finally you need a wooden or concrete box planter big enough to sit on in comfort. Fill with chamomile plants... what more could you ask for - a seat with scent!!  ;)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

colleensj

• learning......
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2010, 07:32 »
yes a seat with a scent indeed. It's something nice for him. He's still has some good central vision atm but I want to get it going and be nice and full and ready for him in time to come....plus I do like herbs and could do with being more adventurous in the kitchen with them.

Thanx to you all for your ideas. I love the big bright orange Calendula.....that's lovely and bright and the pelargonium sounds perfect for what we're looking for for him,  8) I don't suppose it has to be herb, I just though I may aswell have something I could use too.

My mum has some lavander that we could prolly take a cutting from.
Rosemary.....is that the one that looks like curryplant?

Lemon thyme is a new one to me.....  :unsure: off to google them all  :)
cheers guys!!
The goal of life is not to arrive at the graveyard in a well preserved body, but instead to skid in sideways, totally worn out yelling "What a ride!".

mobilekat

« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2010, 08:44 »
For a bit more colour, there is Purple basil, smells just as good but is a very deep purple!
Very often quite lost- would be more lost if I could work out where I was!- But always find my way home.....

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2010, 09:57 »
I wouldnt recommend the curry plant, it's a really overpowering smell and could mask the others gorgeous herbs that have been recommended
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

madcat

« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2010, 10:40 »
I would agree about keeping the curry plant a bit separate; we had one by the drive and you could always smell when someone had driven in ....  in the hot sun it can take over.

You can put calendula flowers in salad ...  so they are still useful!   :D  Can I add coriander to the list?  Its warm spicy smell is lovely...  but dont let it flower - it will just fade away then.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 17:43 by madcat »
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

Carrotcake

• Experienced Member
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2010, 10:53 »
I love lemon balm, but it spreads like wild fire and is impossible to control once it's taken hold.
I would vote for lavender, lemon thyme and rosemary as they don't need too much attention and are perennial, so will reward you with years of delicious smells.

I haven't had much luck with growing annual herbs from seed. My chive seeds took forever to get going and look really weedy. Last year I bought a couple of pots of them from Lidl, split them up and planted them out and they've come back with a vengeance this year so might be worth a look.

Is it the brighter colours that your son can see best? If not, borage has a lovely little blue flower that tastes like cucumber, which might impress him. It did me!

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2010, 10:58 »
Borage is also fab for the bees, it'll be lovely for him to hear them buzz about

colleensj

• learning......
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2010, 14:22 »
yeah the bright colours will be brilliant for him when the time comes.
Basically he's losing his peripheral vision called Usher syndrome so like tunnel vision that gradually over time gets worse. He is also profoundly deaf but has cochlear implants so can actually 'hear'. He loves bees and general bugs...lol (not wasps though) ha ha

Thanx for the advise about the curry plant.....will put it somewhere else where it wont drown everything out then.

cheers  :D

Paul Plots

« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2010, 16:10 »
As carrotcake says, be careful with the lemon balm... worse than mints once it starts to spread.

Maxine Groobey

« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2010, 16:54 »
I agree totally, favourites for smell definitely mint & lemon verbena, but also fennel, lovely light fluffy foliage with amassed smell, gets to about 4' though, grows tall but doesn't take over ;)

colleensj

• learning......
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2010, 20:09 »
I love this site....you lovely people are so nice and helpful, thanx so much. Just nedto go and spend my hubbies pennies now  :tongue2:  :)

Springlands

« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2010, 21:52 »
I know it is not a herb but cosmos has a beautiful chocolate smell

blackisgreen

• Experienced Member
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2010, 08:30 »
not  herbs but try night scented stock ,evening primrose ,sweet smelling roses .
Fennel ,oh and what about sweet peas next year

Lottiegob

• Experienced Member
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2010, 08:51 »
Peppermint (in a pot-it's crazey) is a powerful mint - and you can make peppermint tea too. Also Moroccon mint is great for regular cooking but is a stronger taste/smell.  Sage is beautiful, blue pinacle flowers which attract loads of bees (buzz buzz).
I'm queen of my own compost heap and I'm getting used to the smell.

digalotty

« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2010, 09:07 »
a lovely idea colleensi , i may even may try putting some herbs around my shed where i will sit , the idea of smelling them while having a tea breack is wonderfull .

just need a shed now :D :lol: :lol:
when im with my 9yr old she's the sensible one

clip
Colourful beetles

Started by lazza on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post July 14, 2014, 16:07
by Mrs Bee
xx
petrol smelling soil

Started by Axe on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post October 28, 2011, 22:35
by Axe
thumbdown
Herbs

Started by Coldfeet on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post April 28, 2013, 21:50
by devonbarmygardener
xx
Herbs

Started by Susan K on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 23, 2009, 11:12
by Susan K

Page created in 0.767 seconds with 37 queries.