petrol smelling soil

• 20 Replies

Axe

• Experienced Member
petrol smelling soil
« on: October 20, 2011, 17:35 »
The housemove went great!..and the bosslady dosn't want the house decorated till after Christmas, so i decided to get stuck into the new back garden its about 25 metres square, the right side is my veggie patch and the right is lawned and a the top im preparing for a greenhouse, and thats when my problem started. while i was digging the soil over on my veggie patch i could smell a fuel scent, so i done some investigating and i found out there used to be a garage built there and the previous owner done alot of repairs to peoples cars which drowned the soil in oil and fuel!!....so i am hoping  is there a cure for this or will i have to remove the soil and replace it with new topsoil or is there a treatment i can use to fix this? any comments would be greatly appreciated thanks.

Gaz

Plot 6B

• NRAA Website
Re: petrol smelling soil
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2011, 17:42 »
If the soil is contaminated, it's best to remove it and replace it completely if you want to grow anything. I certainly would not want to grow anything in soil like that.
The fruits of success come from hard work!
A.K.A. Nige2plots

Axe

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2011, 17:46 »
yeah its a huge dissapointment the top layer seems fine..it was when i started to turn it over that the smell was starting so the rain must have pushed it down between 2-6 inches.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2011, 17:50 »
I wonder if the garage had a pit, because it seems a bit unlikely that the owner was careless enough to manage to soak the entire area (or maybe he used to sluice the floor down so that it drained off into a relatively small area?)

Might not be as bad as you think (hope so, anyway.)  :)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Axe

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2011, 17:55 »
i think it has been just what has ran out of cars, and seeped into the soil through the cracks and joints (the floor was just loose flagging not fully concreted) and i looked for a pitt and couldnt find anything concrete in there so im pretty sure there isnt one.

Swing Swang

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2011, 20:23 »
If the ground hasn't been cultivated for some time it will give off 'anaerobic smells' when you turn it over. Give the area a good dig over. Check pH and lime if required. Fork over again in the spring and see how it smells then before doing anything radical.

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2011, 20:25 »
Do the weeds grow there happily and look well? If weeds don't grow there is definately a  problem.

Axe

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2011, 23:29 »
yeah the weeds certainly like parts of it..altho there is some bald spots...and yeah im gonna turn it and leave it for winter then get back to it then as its totally burst my bubble lol

stompy

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2011, 09:17 »
I would personally remove as much of the original smelly soil as possible.
The idea for most of us growing our own is so we know whats gone into it, with this situation you don't.

Bag it or skip it, and hopefully it won't be over to big an area  ;)

Not sure if there is anything you can do about the previouse owner contaminating the ground?

bigben

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2011, 09:22 »
Could you turf the bit that smells of petrol and dig raised beds on the other side? You might even be able to lift sections of turf from the existing grass on the other side and relocate them. Hopefully the other side will be ok.

Axe

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2011, 10:43 »
i think i am gonna have to remove it all and replace it..but im not looking forward to shifting about 3 tonne of soil lol..but what must be done ,has to be done i suppose.

and the better half wont let me use the other side as she dosnt want to look out the dining room window to a vegetable plot lol..she wants it a kid friendly zone.  :(

stompy

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2011, 10:47 »
Like an allotment, alot of hard work at the beginning but the rewards are paid every year  ;)

Goosegirl

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2011, 15:16 »
i think i am gonna have to remove it all and replace it..but im not looking forward to shifting about 3 tonne of soil lol..but what must be done ,has to be done i suppose.

and the better half wont let me use the other side as she dosnt want to look out the dining room window to a vegetable plot lol..she wants it a kid friendly zone.  :(
I don't know if this help to inspire you, but the other year I shifted three tonne of topsoil and one hundred bags of mushrooom compost - and I am over 60. Take it in stages, don't look at what you still have to do, but what you have already achieved.  :)
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Swing Swang

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2011, 20:10 »
If you seriously think that you've got contaminated soil then where are you going to move it to? You might not even be able to move it from one end of your property to another for example, so depending on the contaminant it will have to be disposed of correctly. If you've real grounds for concern then you're going to need to have the soil analysed and what you do will depend on what's in it.

As previously mentioned freshly dug soil can give off some strange smells - when I bought a new piece of land it gave off an foul oily eggy smell (like diesel mixed with rotten eggs and human waste) that really concerned me at first. Within 18 months, thorough double digging, improved drainage (4 inches of sharp sand), plenty of organic matter (about 8 inches) it smelt very sweet indeed.

SS

Axe

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2011, 18:40 »
if it is contaminated..i will have to bag it and take it to a recycling plant ..but im going persevere for now and turn it over, but keep any smelling soil along the top to air out for a while to see if it settles..if not then its going to be removed and replaced.

i have also noticed an allotment behind my back garden hasnt been fully used 15x15 allotment with 2 2x2 raised beds at one side,the rest is overgrown,so while i treat my garden, i might ask if i can part share with the owner and grow my veggies there till i can get ontop of this.

xx
best smelling/colourful herbs

Started by colleensj on Grow Your Own

31 Replies
Last post July 11, 2010, 10:21
by corndolly
xx
Wanted a petrol shredder.

Started by Flower on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post December 01, 2006, 21:47
by richyrich7
xx
More top soil

Started by BestBreast on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 25, 2009, 19:57
by woodburner
xx
what soil should I use?

Started by piskieinboots on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 11, 2007, 11:12
by muntjac

Page created in 0.665 seconds with 38 queries.