petrol smelling soil

• 20 Replies

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: petrol smelling soil
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2011, 19:57 »
You can check whether the soil is fertile by scattering green manure over it - you would dig it in in the spring anyway, but if you get bald patches that could mean pools of contaminated soil.

If you want to do a test first over the whole area I would mass up some old jam jars and systematically work over the plot putting small soil samples in each, then add water.  Oil or petrol will make a slick on the top and if it's all over, then you are looking at digging it all out and replacing the top soil.

Swing Swang

« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2011, 20:11 »

Axe

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2011, 12:25 »
well i have been a busy bee...i done the water tests, one every square metre of earth (some more concentrated at certain area's) and there is a big patch of fuel/oil in the centre and at the very top aswell (and a couple of 1 foot patches).

so i have come to the conclusion the patch in the centre is where the cars were parked and the oil was flowing) i done some digging down and found some empty oil containers...so i assume this was the back of the garage which he kindly dumped all his old oil and other motor fluid  :mad:

so on the good side i just have to replace about 3 square metres, rather than the entire garden side.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2011, 13:46 »
Glad to hear that Axe (although of course you could have hired an oil rig and made yourself a few million!)  :)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2011, 21:35 »
That sounds like a result Axe  :D

Axe

• Experienced Member
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2011, 22:35 »
yup..it has cheered me up..and also been offered a half share of a 30x30 allotment, so in a months i have went from a 2 bed flat with a yard, to a 3 bedroom house huge oil field and half an allotment,...might just lawn out the oil field and use the allotment for veggies.

xx
best smelling/colourful herbs

Started by colleensj on Grow Your Own

31 Replies
Last post July 11, 2010, 10:21
by corndolly
xx
Wanted a petrol shredder.

Started by Flower on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post December 01, 2006, 21:47
by richyrich7
question
Ash and soil pH

Started by Vit on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 12, 2011, 23:52
by Vit
xx
Top soil

Started by colinc on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 20, 2011, 06:19
by arugula

Page created in 0.458 seconds with 38 queries.