Chicken Depressed ?

• 7 Replies

BlackRockLovers

• Cheap horse rugs
Chicken Depressed ?
« on: June 21, 2010, 07:50 »
I have 7, Black rock chickens all around the age of 18 - 19weeks, a few have been laying for a week or so now, no problems with them, but one of the hens that have been laying has gone rather depressive. she is still laying nice hard eggs, she layed a BIG one this morning, the kind that she is supposed to lay. but has been lethargic recently, not running to me for bread ect, i have been checking her crop everday before she goes to 'bed' and its been full, she hasnt been picked on, my girls dont fight or bully each other. if i offer her bread / corn / fruit / veg / basically anything she usually eats , she takes one peck at it then returns to her head tucked in and still ?? sorry its a long post, ive only had chickens since 15 april this year, these exact girls from 10wk old's and i love them to peices. :wacko:

Christina

carolbriar

Re: Chicken Depressed ?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2010, 08:11 »
Hi, you mention lots of treat foods but not whether or not they are on layers pellets or mash. 
I don't know what could be wrong with your hen but potentially the big egg could have some bearing on her well being.  Have you checked her rear for any signs of a prolapse?  I would keep an eye on her today and see how she goes.  Someone else with more experience will probably come along and give you some more info.
2 Springer Spaniels, 1 Speckled Sussex,  1 Cuckoo Maran, 1 Light Sussex, 1 Welsummer, 2 Barnvelders and 2 silver Pencil Wyandotes.

BlackRockLovers

• Cheap horse rugs
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2010, 09:31 »
all my chickens are on Layers pellets :) and just checked her now, no sign of prolapse, but jsut found another large egg :) dnt thnk its from her though
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 09:38 by BlackRockLovers »

nicky d

• Experienced Member
  • super shane
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2010, 10:03 »
Feeding treats is ok but as long as there in small quantities and late afternoon,  i always give my girls a few treats late afternoon so i know they have filled up on layers all morning.   With regards to your girl, have you checked her over for mites/lice,  and also if they havnt been wormed it would probably be ideal now to worm them all with flubenvent.    Hope she picks up.  nickyx
4 girlies,  Nessa, Pamela, Stacey and Tina

BlackRockLovers

• Cheap horse rugs
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2010, 10:47 »
i tend to feed them on freerange till around 9pm ? then they are taken in to layers pellets till about 7-8am which is when i pick up the food again and allow them out, or they are * to get in :)
or is that not good? im new to chickens and had been reading many forums and people had said a routine is good for chickens so i made that routine up, seems to be working as they are laying very very nice eggs with hard shells even from day 1 of laying, all the eggs have been strong and very tasty  :tongue2:

Casey76

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2010, 10:58 »
Layers pellets should be available freely all day, even when your hens are free-ranging.  Take them up over night - the chickens are alseep and wont eat them then, and they may attract vermin into the hen house.

As for your chickens looking depressed, well coming into lay - especially if they are laying large eggs - can take it out of a chicken.  They will perk up soon enough once they get into the swing of things.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 11:04 by Casey76 »

BlackRockLovers

• Cheap horse rugs
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2010, 11:27 »
Ok thank you :)

Jeanette

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2010, 19:50 »
It can take a lot out of a chicken to lay big eggs just give her a bit of time i am sure she will be ok. If i was a chicken and layed something that big it would make my eyes water as well. :)

xx
Depressed chicken

Started by Nails on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post June 17, 2010, 18:27
by Pretty Chick
xx
Chicken a bit depressed, sour crop?

Started by flangey on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post November 20, 2009, 22:45
by lucylou
xx
A Simple Tonic for Seasonal Depressed Chicken !

Started by Nellies on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post April 06, 2010, 17:49
by lukasmum
xx
So depressed please help

Started by RubyR3d on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post February 17, 2015, 04:25
by Beekissed

Page created in 0.543 seconds with 31 queries.