Chicken a bit depressed, sour crop?

• 4 Replies

flangey

Chicken a bit depressed, sour crop?
« on: November 18, 2009, 10:39 »
Hello,  could I have some advice please? One of my girls, she's an addition to my flock, i've had her for about a month now, seems very 'down'.  She also looks a bit swollen on her chest, which is why I'm wondering weather it's something to do with her crop.  I've picked her up and had a feel, but reading the symptons of sour crop on this page, she doesn't seem to have the obvious ones.  Theres no unusual neck movement, no smelly breath, no girgling or swooshing sounds when I've touched her there, although she does feel quite boney.  She's showing interest in food but not really eating.  There's no unusual signs around her eyes etc, her vent is all clean and her poo is firm, although a bit yellowy in colour.  She clearly hates this windy weather, but won't go under any of the trillions of shelters I've built them in the garden.  Any suggestions or am I just being paranoid...?

lucylou

• Experienced Member
Re: Chicken a bit depressed, sour crop?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2009, 17:25 »
hi flangey, i posted  a similar(ish) query on my hen yesteday.  mine is as you say, just not quite herself and not eating.  her crop was empty this morning and not squishy so doesnt look like sour crop.  i bought soem maggots for them this afternoon and she ate loads of them but crop was still empty this evening at bedtime. im going to just keep an eye on her  - is your hen doing normal poos?

flangey

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2009, 14:57 »
Hi Lucy,  some of her poos are fine and some a bit runny, but not watery.  I've noticed today that she seems to be really hungry.  She almost fell on the feeder when she came out of the house this morning, so I made sure the others didnt chase her off.  I keep watching her and think sometimes she looks really perky then others she's all quiet again.  They are a worry aren't they?

treacleminer

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2009, 19:18 »
Like all of us they can have 'off' days and can often just sort themselves out (after you've had to go off somewhere all worried about them), keep an eye on her but it sounds like she will get better without interference.

lucylou

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2009, 22:45 »
hi flangey! my little hen is ok now- she is eating and her crop is back to normal after about 3 days.  i got them some maggots from the bait shop and she did not resist the temptation! - she is still a little bit quiet but i know she is on the meand cos her crop definately wasnt normal before.  i hope your perksup really soon - best ofluck, lucylou :)

xx
Chicken with sour crop ??

Started by spockey on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post January 29, 2011, 16:29
by alisonwo
xx
Making chicken sick with sour crop

Started by SamT on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 03, 2016, 14:36
by SamT
question
Sour crop and making your chicken vomit!

Started by Mrs S on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post September 10, 2012, 22:21
by Mrs S
xx
Impacted Crop in 4 week old chick (Modified - It's Sour Crop)

Started by kegs on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post August 26, 2012, 14:48
by New shoot

Page created in 0.512 seconds with 30 queries.