Sour crop and making your chicken vomit!

• 6 Replies

Mrs S

Sour crop and making your chicken vomit!
« on: September 07, 2012, 14:28 »
Hi, I've taken my chicken to the vet this morning as she has sour crop. I already add cider vinegar to their water daily so I'm at a loss really as to what else I can do to help prevent it. Regardless, the vet has flushed her out and may possibly prescribe antibiotics, but he did mention that if it happens again you can make your chicken vomit the offending juices. Now, I am aware that this is normal practise and I have read at some length peoples experiences of this, but I cannot find one piicture/video of the correct position the chicken should be in. Are  their feet literally above their head or will a 45 degree angle suffice?

If anyone can show me a picture I would be so appreciative! x

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Re: Sour crop and making your chicken vomit!
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2012, 15:57 »
No pictures, but this may be interesting reading.

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=4345.0

I tend to lay the hen upside down along my arm, with her head hanging down resting in my hand.  She won't fall off as I hold her against my body.

Then I gently massage her throat, from crop to top of neck.  Only hold them like for for a minute at a time though as it can be dangerous.

Some people do hang them upside down, but I've found that they can wiggle about and the vomit goes everywhere!

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2012, 17:02 »

I tend to lay the hen upside down along my arm, with her head hanging down resting in my hand.  She won't fall off as I hold her against my body.

Then I gently massage her throat, from crop to top of neck.  Only hold them like for for a minute at a time though as it can be dangerous.

Some people do hang them upside down, but I've found that they can wiggle about and the vomit goes everywhere!

That is what I call multitasking GA, I would need an extra pair of hands for that.   :lol:
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Mrs S

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2012, 20:41 »
Thank you. I went out to her this afternoon with a ramekin of yoghurt and a syringe.The syringe was rendered useless I'm pleased to say as all 3 of my girls ate the yoghurt directly.

Any advice on how I can prevent it happening again? This is my first case in all the years I've had chickens :(

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2012, 23:03 »

That is what I call multitasking GA, I would need an extra pair of hands for that.   :lol:

LOL, if you are lucky, they will lay on their backs very quietly as they don't know what's happening!

Mrs S, difficult to say  what happened in the first place.  Sour crop is a fungal infection caused by food not being digested properly in the crop.

Apple cider vinegar occasionally in their drinking water can sometimes help, and make sure they have extra grit available, although there should be enough of everything they need in their layers food.

kegs

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2012, 12:47 »
Just found this site which has a picture of how to hold the chicken with sour crop (near the bottom of the page).  Hope that helps.

http://www.littlehenrescue.co.uk/Pages/Medicaladvice.aspx

Mrs S

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2012, 22:21 »
Thank you! What a great page - have book-marked it  :)

xx
Making chicken sick with sour crop

Started by SamT on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 03, 2016, 14:36
by SamT
xx
Chicken with sour crop ??

Started by spockey on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post January 29, 2011, 16:29
by alisonwo
xx
Chicken a bit depressed, sour crop?

Started by flangey on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post November 20, 2009, 22:45
by lucylou
xx
Impacted Crop in 4 week old chick (Modified - It's Sour Crop)

Started by kegs on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post August 26, 2012, 14:48
by New shoot

Page created in 0.226 seconds with 37 queries.