Our plot visited by vandals - what can we do

• 22 Replies

noshed

Re: Our plot visited by vandals - what can we do
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2010, 09:37 »
We have a lot of trouble when foxes play on our site - they love jumpting through fleece for some reason. I've never seen them tip a bin over though.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

Zippy

« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2010, 09:45 »
I kept having onions puloled up and thrown around. then I lay in wait at dusk only to find a group of cubs playing chase and tossing them around! Now I net them with my brassicas. The beggers!

beanqueen

« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2010, 10:31 »
Hi
Yes am on plot 31, I used to be on the awful half plot just after you turn the bend to your bit. Had my shed door broken last summer but I think they just looked in, saw there was nothing of value and left it as the lock was intact.

I dont think it's the school kids, the local teens have been getting drunk in the field at weekends.  Police are watching out for them to move them on as they will be there this weekend for another party.

Hope that will sort it...plus I know one of the mums is aiming to go and drag her son home if he turns up again lol

greenhead

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2010, 12:37 »
Could be Foxes if they drink spirits!! Empty bottles strewn all over the place - Humans.

Hi beanqueen nice to meet you on the forum my plot 48/51 right down the bottom by the School playing fields (if you call it play)

http://i892.photobucket.com/albums/ac128/mikehardy124/P0001296.jpg

http://i892.photobucket.com/albums/ac128/mikehardy124/P0001295.jpg

corynsboy

• Experienced Member
    • http://growingyourownveg.blogspot.com/
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2010, 12:46 »
We have had a couple of problems but we have a lid on it now:

Here's how we do it:

No pad locks on sheds.  Ever.  Just use a house brick on the door to keep the foxes out.  Crooks do more damage finding something to break your shed door lock with than they ever will once inside your shed.  Of course don't keep anything valuable in your shed.

This is the big one:

Every time there is a break in, every member reports the break in. 

That way the plot becomes a crime hot spot and gets police attention.  It's a bit rubbish but community policing is done by the numbers.  In my village if 65 members all make the same complaint after a break in that becomes crime spree and we get a drive by four or five times a day. That's practically an armed guard!

School holidays are upon us.  Huddle your members together get organised put up notices and deal with this together.  You can beat the system.
Corynsboy's Blog

What's the difference between a good farmer and a bad farmer?  About a week.

soaplady

« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2010, 13:29 »
Two complete sets of allotments at either end of the town where my parents live have both been vandalised on the same night. Although nothing was stolen tool wise, every single plant and vegetable in every plot was pulled up, water barrells left on to leak all the water, and all of the bean poles broken down. Absolutely nothing left at all to save.

Apparently some of the old timers on the allotments are now going to give them up, as they have worked hard all year and now have nothing. If I could catch whoever does this sort of thing, a chain gang would be implemented immediately, no human rights and nanny state politics for me. Little b****s.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2010, 07:24 »
Every time there is a break in, every member reports the break in. 

That way the plot becomes a crime hot spot and gets police attention.  It's a bit rubbish but community policing is done by the numbers.  In my village if 65 members all make the same complaint after a break in that becomes crime spree and we get a drive by four or five times a day. That's practically an armed guard!

Couldn't agree more.  Our community officer asks us to report everything so that the stats justify added police attention.  No stats = no problem = no extra police attention = no deterrence
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

hoporus

« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2010, 09:07 »
i am so sorry for you  I live in a village and we have horse racing various times of the year The drunks pass by our garden on the way back to their camp site and we have had the same Last time they kindly pulled out two lovely hydrangea bushes and threw them on the lawn Them we caught a man using the garden as a toilet   Hopefully soon these morons will get bored   Best wishes

sad
HELP: visited plot today: broad beans, peas, looking very ill

Started by mikeashworth on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post February 16, 2012, 20:20
by DD.
xx
Vandals

Started by frances on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post June 09, 2006, 10:50
by John
xx
Deterring Fox Vandals

Started by Chicken n Veg on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 29, 2010, 01:25
by Paul Plots
xx
Vandals have burnt my shed to the ground

Started by Steerpike on Grow Your Own

25 Replies
Last post March 04, 2007, 14:46
by Salkeela

Page created in 0.312 seconds with 29 queries.