Deterring Fox Vandals

• 9 Replies

Chicken n Veg

• Chicken 'n Veg (Blog)
Deterring Fox Vandals
« on: June 15, 2009, 10:43 »
I would be grateful for any suggestions to deal with foxes that have completely undone the work I did in the garden this weekend. I know we had foxes living in the area - I have recently seen two cubs and an adult fox together on two different occasions. I took steps to protect our new hens (electrified poultry netting), but have never had a problem with the veg plot. This weekend I planted a number of homemade seed tapes (I have planted quite a few of these earlier this year with no problems) and a number of other seeds. Over the last two nights the foxes have been digging all the new seeds up, basically pawing at the seed tape under the soil and across the other rows of seeds. I imagine that it is the fox cubs 'playing' rather than trying to get any sort of food.

I am sure it is foxes. The damage is done by the time I get up to let out the hens in the morning (6.00 ish). I do not see any birds at that time. The real give away that it is foxes is that they have left different dogs chewing toys (rubber ball and rubber bone) on one of the other beds - different toy each night ! The fox cubs have presumably taken these from another garden to play with. There is also quite a lot of fox faeces.

I will have to plant more seeds this week and could do with ideas to deter the fox vandals.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Deterring Fox Vandals
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2009, 18:41 »
Apart from physical barriers I'm not sure what to suggest - but have you used pelleted chicken manure?  I think I've read that the smell attracts foxes?
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

SAMANTHA MOLLY

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2009, 21:26 »
Hi human hair tied in tights at six foot intervals, human or dog wee :-) and a radio all deter foxes from visiting.

RobOver

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2010, 08:40 »
I'm fighting a daily battle with some in my garden, I've managed to save the potatoes with some netting, but I fear my onions are going to be next... I've just been down the garden and there's about half a row disappeared overnight, admittedly they're short rows, about 6ft long but when a quarter of your onion patch is missing (and the others struggling in the dry weather), I'm really worried.

goodegg

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2010, 14:07 »
if everything is in short rows can you net it all you could make frames with netting over them that you can move from place to place and when one crop has finished move to next crop and so on

Swing Swang

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2010, 16:40 »
How rural are you, if appropriate maybe someone could 'prescribe' an ounce and a half of BBs for you.

RobOver

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2010, 19:14 »
How rural are you, if appropriate maybe someone could 'prescribe' an ounce and a half of BBs for you.

Hah, I live in suburban London....

RobOver

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2010, 19:15 »
if everything is in short rows can you net it all you could make frames with netting over them that you can move from place to place and when one crop has finished move to next crop and so on

I might well have to do that but me constructing skills ain't too hot...  ;)

Yabba

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2010, 23:34 »
We use sheep fencing to keep foxes off our beds, doesn't cost a fortune.

Also find that they only play in the beds when stuff is small, as it grows up they leave it alone.

They also only tend to go for the soil, not plants, when they dig, they're not vegetarians ;) ... so maybe put stuff out when it's bigger?

Note : this is based on the sausage fed foxes that live near our field, your mileage may vary ;)

¥

Paul Plots

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2010, 01:25 »
We have had an increasing number of foxes prancing all over the place - can be a real pain as they trample through crops and dig up seed beds.

I agree that they seem more interested in playing and poking their fury snouts into things rather than eating anything.

Newly rotovated fine soil is a great attraction - most likely cubs playing. The other day I arrived at the plot to find 3 large holes chewed in a long plastic covered cloche. I guess they were "interested" to see what was inside!  :blink: Lettuce  ::)

I protect newly sown seed beds with hefty wire covers around 6' long tunnel shaped and made from very solid inch square fencing material but I guess chicken wire would do as good a job.

Lovely to have the foxes as they keep the rats at bay but... rather tired of cubs racing through the chrysanthemums and gladioli when they snap them - same goes for onions!

Hand grenades on strings? (Obviously just joking ...  :unsure:  ::)  )
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

xx
Deterring aphids

Started by hubballi on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post July 08, 2013, 15:38
by BobE
xx
Vandals

Started by frances on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post June 09, 2006, 10:50
by John
xx
Our plot visited by vandals - what can we do

Started by greenhead on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post June 19, 2010, 09:07
by hoporus
xx
Vandals have burnt my shed to the ground

Started by Steerpike on Grow Your Own

25 Replies
Last post March 04, 2007, 14:46
by Salkeela

Page created in 0.332 seconds with 28 queries.