Why aren't you getting young people involved?!

• 27 Replies

Jamie Butterworth

• Young Gardener at Chelsea Flower Show - 2014, 2015
  • BBC3 Young Gardener Of The Year 2011 - Finalist
    • Jamie Butterworth
Re: Why aren't you getting young people involved?!
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2010, 21:38 »
I started growing my own veg when i was 10ish, but have never realy had a club or somewhere to do it with a group of people like myself ::)
If you want to be happy for a short time - get drunk.

If you want to be happy for a long time - fall in love.

If you want to be happy forever - take up gardening!

mebanana

• Waiting on an allotment!
    • PubQuizzy
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2010, 21:51 »
I am a primary school teacher in an inner-city school and I agree that it is so important to start growing projects with the children.  Sadly, as this is only my first year teaching and I was on a temporary contract my position, like so many others, has been cut.  But if (hopefully when!) I find a new job I will remember your kind offer as wherever I go I'll be promoting grow your own!

twiggy-pea-sticks

« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2010, 23:11 »
My boy is 5 and we have just got our first ever allotment.  He has his own set of tools, even a little spade and has his own patch.  So far he's planted pumpkins, parsnips and what he calls his prize winning onions :)  The last two years we've had a little greenohuse at  home and he has grown salad, tomatoes and cucumber.  He planted his first tomato seeds when he was 2 and a half.  Start them young, that's what I say :) His little village school has just got their own allotment too and the children love visiting.

zazen999

« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2010, 07:08 »
Interesting Thread Irene.

I am currently working in 5 charity schools setting up organic veggie gardens. It's an interesting project and seeing kids eating peas straight from the pod who have never been anywhere near a garden before is fascinating. Esp when they argue about how gets the most!

Most of the seeds for the veg came from my own collection; which in turn has mostly come from swapping and donations from other veg growers; so in their own way so many of my chums are helping out...

However the fact that I had enough seed in my own collection to stock one garden, one greenhouse, one full size lottie, my brother's 4 raised beds, 5 schools and 2 more greenhouses [at the schools] came as quite a wake up call - and I could still restock the lot twice over. I think I am a little seed obsessed!

spottymint

« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2010, 09:27 »
Hi

I a not in a position to help local schools with grow your own projects, Doubt they do them  around here (no council lotties).

I do however,from time to time send excess seeds to a charity called "thrive" for disabled gardeners & also gave some seeds this year to the local council "Minding the Garden" organisation.

Another forum I use, I sent one lady seeds for her school project (even bought her seeds from Prem direct) & sent seeds to the forums "Family Fun Day".

Alot of us do help in some way, I just don't mention it. I feel everyone should do as they see fit.

Irene

• Experienced Member
    • Idaho Gardening
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2010, 11:14 »
Trikidiki:

It takes a special person to do what you are doing for those young people. You have my admiration.

zazen999: Nice to meet another seedaholic. :) A great way to make use of your excess. It is fun to see kids and peas together. My great niece and nephew visited last year and they went absolutely crazy over peas on the vine...to the point that when they were leaving for the airport they put their bags in the car, told their father they would be right back and made a mad dash back to the kitchen garden to pick two handfuls.

By the way, I now have three schools receiving gifts and still need one more. Feel free to pm me with suggestions.

Wild Pony

• Experienced Member
  • God made ducks to make him laugh
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2010, 12:39 »
I grew up with my Dad having an allotment at Pebsham, Bexhill (they don't exist now). and nothing was better than me our old Boxer and Dad pottering about up there. He even got a few prize cards growing dahlias. But as he was on £3 a week, the mortgage to pay and five to feed, me and my sisters all needing school shoes an stuff, it was an absolute essential to grow your own....trouble with me was getting what we picked back home as I was always pinching it out of the wheelbarrow......happy days!

Irene

• Experienced Member
    • Idaho Gardening
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2010, 23:37 »
Wild Pony:

A wonderful post..and so many memories recalled of the family garden really needed to feed the family...and my plums in the kitchen garden NEVER get to house. They are snacks in between weeding :)

Thank you to PennyS for allowing me to fill out my budget with her favorite school program. This rather small school looks to be accomplishing big things in gardening.

savbo

« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2010, 07:39 »
Our daughter's school abuts the allotment site and we've just had the most fantastic garden area with raised beds, 'edible pavilion', outdoor classroom and even BBQ built on the redundant plot nearest the school...and the bees are arriving soon! it's being done by the Council with help from Uni design students and some grants

some info here
http://www.citygrowing.driftingmap.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=9&Itemid=7

May try to get some pics later.

M

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2010, 07:48 »
Hi

I a not in a position to help local schools with grow your own projects, Doubt they do them  around here (no council lotties).

I do however,from time to time send excess seeds to a charity called "thrive" for disabled gardeners & also gave some seeds this year to the local council "Minding the Garden" organisation.

Another forum I use, I sent one lady seeds for her school project (even bought her seeds from Prem direct) & sent seeds to the forums "Family Fun Day".

Alot of us do help in some way, I just don't mention it. I feel everyone should do as they see fit.

Thrive have got a site fairly near me Spotty and it's a great place.  They help mentally and phsyically disabled people, plus people suffering mental health problems like depression or breakdowns. 

They sometimes have plant sales (usually on weekends I am working  ::) ) but if I do get there I'm always touched by how proud the gardeners are of what they have produced.  Your seeds are much appreciated I'm sure  :D

PennyS

• My website
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2010, 09:26 »
Wild Pony:

A wonderful post..and so many memories recalled of the family garden really needed to feed the family...and my plums in the kitchen garden NEVER get to house. They are snacks in between weeding :)

Thank you to PennyS for allowing me to fill out my budget with her favorite school program. This rather small school looks to be accomplishing big things in gardening.
Well thank you Irene for helping, you are fantastic.  When I saw the Headteacher this morning she had a huge grin, I think she can't wait to tell the children  :D  They have really incorporated their allotment across school activities for all the age groups. It's lovely to see.
Lotty holder since Aug 09... I've FINALLY finished clearing it! On with the p.lanting  ....

allstars_princess

• Experienced Member
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2010, 10:53 »
Irene,

I have PM'd you about the local gardening club for children I run.  Many members from here have already kindly donated lovely seeds to us to grow and we are currently trying to save as much heritage seed as possible to continue this trend. 

It is lovely to see other people encouraging children and youngsters to grow.  I loved to help my granddad in the garden and was always fascinated by the cycle of sowing, growing and eating. 

Keep up the great work.  :)

Jome

• Experienced Member
    • Blog
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2010, 22:01 »
I've got my two todders on the plot all the time, they will grow up and absorb all the knowledge like I did from my dad

Even back in February, I took my little girl who was 9 months old, plonked her on a rug with a biscuit while I did some digging. I'm a firm believer in getting them outside to learn about the world!
DSC_2464.jpg

xx
Why aren't they going red!!!!!!

Started by Benny130 on Grow Your Own

58 Replies
Last post August 22, 2015, 19:48
by robinahood
xx
Why aren't my cukes getting any bigger?

Started by shokkyy on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post August 09, 2010, 21:35
by shokkyy
xx
My chillies aren't growing

Started by barbarella on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 26, 2012, 14:20
by barbarella
xx
My tomatoes aren't tasty!

Started by Goosegirl on Grow Your Own

29 Replies
Last post July 03, 2008, 22:47
by sclarke624

Page created in 1.937 seconds with 37 queries.