Weed and Feed - length of potency

• 6 Replies

Zippy

Weed and Feed - length of potency
« on: June 17, 2010, 19:17 »
I have opportunity to collect grass mowings from close by neighbours but I cannot guarantee that I will not collect a bag full that has been treated with something like Weed and Feed.

Does this have a potency life by which time it is safe to compost? I wouln't be putting down as a mulch for this reason.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Weed and Feed - length of potency
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2010, 19:21 »
I think it says it's OK as a mulch after 3 or 4 mowings, and OK to compost anyway - but if you leave it 4 mowings after application before using it at all you should be OK
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

smurf

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2010, 19:33 »
all depends what "weed and feed" has been used, the lawn weed killer  i use can not be used as mulch or compost for three months,the weed and feed 5 cuttings, if its a standard one from a garden centre or D.I.Y place ide leave it for 5 - 6 mowings just to be on the safe side

DavidT

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2010, 19:47 »
I`d err on the side of caution and not use it at all. Which is more important, your fruit/veg or some free grass cuttings which may or may not be treated with herbicide? :D

rockyracoon

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2010, 19:57 »
O'er, I'm worried now, I didn't give this a second thought and put the clippings in the compost bin.  Will have to use the compost in the flower bed instead of the veg bed now!
 :(

Zippy

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2010, 22:07 »
Thanks for your inputs guys - I am going with DavidT on this one as I can't control which cut is 4 or 5 after treatment as this grass would be bagged up by neighbours and I would collect as I pass by en route to other errands.

It is very tempting when I walk the dog to the allotment early morning and see all the bags of green waste awaiting collection, to think how much compost it would all make, but not knowing what chemical nasties are also in there - its just not worth it.

Especially as some herbicides stay stable for many months and will become (relatively) more concentrated as the compost heap rots down in volume.

Council mown grass is a safer bet as it is not treated but i do have to rake up and collect it.  Oh well, I think I knew the answer - I just needed to hear it said back to me.

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2010, 22:13 »
If you can't guarantee the number of mowings then err on the side of caution.  If you can, then it's in the manufacturers interest to have the correct advice on the product.  Just go with that.
Cheese makes everything better.

xx
Weed and feed HELP!

Started by squirrels dig on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post April 05, 2022, 15:08
by squirrels dig
xx
weed n feed

Started by brownp on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 02, 2010, 22:42
by Ice
xx
weed water as feed

Started by shed head on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 27, 2013, 16:21
by compostqueen
xx
Weed and feed in compost or mulch

Started by Zippy on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 27, 2011, 10:10
by DD.

Page created in 0.462 seconds with 36 queries.