Please Help urgently!!! Chicken Troubles

• 15 Replies

Rugg1ero

« on: June 03, 2007, 22:35 »
Hi Everyone this is my first ever post, the truth is I logged on here to help my mum we have 6 chickens have been with us a few months now and to be honest my mum loves animals to bits which leads me to my next point!!

one of our ginger Chickens has been ill now for the last 5 days and its crushing my mum inside i can tell i have done some much research but cant find the answer :(

Basically for the last 5 days the chicken has not been eating at all well and barely drinks unless we aid its stools have been long hard and dangling from its anus sorry i know this is graphic but its really spaced out too not very responsive to much just wonders and does its own thing, we put food in front of it separately have tried everything just seems so bad maybe a virus i have no idea

i am no expert hence i really need the advice please help this means so much to my mum she’s a animal lover like no other these are her pride and joy if this one dies i cant bear to see my mums reaction

Thanks Everyone Dan 19 years old

Garderner Rhys

« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2007, 22:44 »
Hi, i have some chickens at this time like that and i am thinking of putting them out of there misery too stop the disease spreading. I am not saying that this is the best thing to do but it is the best for the hen itself and the other hens just incase it spreads and kills all the other hens.
RHYS O'HARE

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2007, 22:49 »
Hi Dan Welcome to the forums.

The poor hen seems to be poorley.  It is very importaint that she drinks water, and if she isn't you must syringe about 10ml at a time into her beak a little at a time giving her time to swallow.  

I'm not sure what you mean by your description of her stools.  Is she laying eggs ?  If not it is possible that these stools (if they are a kind of creamy colour) are the result of badly formed eggs being passed.  

Have you treated your hens for worms.  It is something you should do every 3-6 months.  Check the sticky on this forum about Worms.  Flubenvet is what I would recommend for this.  You can buy it on line or a vet could get it for you.

It is obvious that you and your mum are very worried about her,  would it be possible for you to take her to a vet for a check over.  

Do let us know how you get on with her  :!:

Rugg1ero

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2007, 23:25 »
Hey all

thanks for all the advice so far any idea whats up with the chicken itself? we have been syringing 10ml about four times daily each to keep it ok and running so to speak, she is not leaving any eggs now basically what i ment is that the stools are really long and wont drop out its quite horrific

i mean its 5 days now since she has been ill poor thing my mum is seeing it to ways now prob a good thing, they have been treated for worms defo on that were just keep it up wit the water for now please
keep the advice coming il show my mum tomorrow thanks

God Bless

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2007, 09:26 »
I don't think there is any more advice I can give you.  I'm still not sure if its faeces or deformed egg material you refere to.  

You have 3 courses of action open to you:

Keep the hen hydrated and see how she goes

Dispatch hen

Seek the advice of a vet

Good luck, let us know how things go  :)

alan42

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2007, 13:28 »
i am going to upset someone again but if you can sit and watch an animal / bird sufer in the way you describe for 5 days you are not the animal lover you think you are if the rspca saw this you could be prosicted for not seeking vetenary help there is no choice in the matter common sense says i eather have to end the suffering myself or take to the vets waiting 5 days is not the answear and if you have other birds the virus is spreding to them so you run the risk of them all dying.
in my opinion if the bird is to ill to drink its to ill to survive.
confirmed by a vet.
if your mother was lying ill in bed and couldent even drink on her own would you wait 5 days before calling the docktor, i think not.
alan
i do not set out to upset people but i do speak my mind and only offer constructive advice. appoligies if i do upset you.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2007, 15:28 »
Yes Alan, you're right.  I would not allow my hens to be ill for more than a day without I rush to my vets.  And it is the law that you must not allow animals in your charge to suffer.

The first thing I organised when I got my chickens was to register them at a vet's who was happy to treat hens.  I'm lucky that I have one near by but they can be as rare as hens teeth.  

I hope Rugg1ero has some positive news for us today about what action they have taken for the hen  :!:

alan42

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2007, 15:43 »
luckily i live in the countryside so our vet is well versed in all things farmyard and is also a great man to chat to about farmyard animals he is proud of his knowledge and shares it willingly.
alan

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2007, 15:52 »
Even that is lucky Alan as many "farm"  vets won't treat a hen.  Dispatch and replace  :(

alan42

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2007, 17:11 »
i have paid £100 plus for a trio of birds so i need to know i have a vet who is willing and able to treat my hens if needed but saying that i have only needed them about 4 times in 20 years so i think i have been lucky.
alan

Foxy

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2007, 22:09 »
Hi so sorry about your mothers' hen -it is very difficult to find vets experienced to deal with poultry. There are lots of questions we could ask re: sick hen -ie age, feathers-are they fluffed up? how long has your mum had the birds? what are they being fed? etc. Best bet is to phone around and find a poultry vet in the area or a vet that will put the bird out of her misery. The dry hard  droppings do indicate dehydration. Best to take action quickly isolate bird in case of infection.

Rugg1ero

Hi All
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2007, 11:42 »
Hey all your very entitled to your views i respect all of them but just a little update for you all. the Chicken was taken to the vet yesterday put on anti bio tics and now is eating and drinking fine so just goes to show that if you don’t make snap actions   and actually monitor a animal and understand them they will be ok,  how you can question someone’s love for a animal based on the fact you don’t know someone confuses me, so for all who questioned the techniques i think you need to take a look at yourself because learn from my experience here, that if you care for it rather then just dispatch it at the first hurdle because its the easy option,

your animal will be fine just like mine is now

so by all means express your views but dont pass judgement or critice when you don’t know the facts, its easy to hide behind a computer and write this and that but with some of your naive views would explain why your animals become ill or die

P.S  for everyone else thanks for all the advice and help

Dan

flatcap

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2007, 12:16 »
hi rugg1ero
                  pleased to hear your chickens doing well  :D

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: Hi All
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2007, 19:03 »
Quote from: "Rugg1ero"
Hey all your very entitled to your views i respect all of them but just a little update for you all. the Chicken was taken to the vet yesterday put on anti bio tics and now is eating and drinking fine so just goes to show that if you don’t make snap actions   and actually monitor a animal and understand them they will be ok,  how you can question someone’s love for a animal based on the fact you don’t know someone confuses me, so for all who questioned the techniques i think you need to take a look at yourself because learn from my experience here, that if you care for it rather then just dispatch it at the first hurdle because its the easy option,

your animal will be fine just like mine is now

so by all means express your views but dont pass judgement or critice when you don’t know the facts, its easy to hide behind a computer and write this and that but with some of your naive views would explain why your animals become ill or die

P.S  for everyone else thanks for all the advice and help

Dan

Dan, I'm very sorry that you think the comments you received here were not well given.  I think what we were trying to say to you was that the hen should not have been left suffering for 5 days. Treatment should have been sought for her before that.  I'm very pleased that she has some veterinary care that is helping her now.

When you post on a public forum you have to accept that you will get differing advice and a number of different viewpoints.  A certain degree of maturity is required to decide what advice will best suit your situation.

I hope your mother's hen continues to improve.

WG.

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2007, 20:53 »
With respect Rugg1ero, a verbal description of a sick bird can scarcely be expected to produce as thorough a diagnosis as a physical inspection. Folks on here have forgotten more about chickens than I will ever know. They are willing to give their advice freely & it is up to you whether or not to act upon it.

I do note that one reply (within 15 minutes of your post) said : "would it be possible for you to take her to a vet for a check over?"

xx
Electric chicken fencing Help urgently needed!!

Started by flangey on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post June 26, 2009, 16:40
by desandchez
xx
HELP URGENTLY!!

Started by Jane-M on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post June 21, 2009, 22:30
by Caralou
xx
Help needed urgently

Started by maggiem on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post July 28, 2010, 22:52
by Jeanette
xx
Help needed urgently please!

Started by Helenaj on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 01, 2011, 09:06
by Helenaj

Page created in 0.282 seconds with 28 queries.