The chickens have arrived!!!!

• 3 Replies

susiepoos

« on: June 07, 2007, 08:15 »
Hi Everyone

The chickens have arrived and seem to be settling in quite well. The poor things have been raised in a barn so when we got them home and put them in their pen they didn't know what to do!!!  :shock: It's weird to think they've never had fresh air or seen grass - can't imagine the life of a battery hen :cry:  :cry:  :cry: They have stayed mainly in the coop but I've left the big door open (it's a converted shed) so that they can see out - there's 6 of them and they all sit together right by the door getting used to their new world - they have ventured out but only for short periods - I guess they are just getting used to everything. They are eating and drinking loads so they are obviously making up for lost time :D

Do chickens use the perch naturally or do they have to be taught??? Silly question really but when I went to them this morning they were just all cuddled together on the floor.

Sue

Bagpuss

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2007, 08:27 »
Hi, my hens have never perched, but they are ex-batteries, so haven't learnt how to, so neither have yours presumably. Someone who knows what they are doing will be able to tell you. How exciting for them though waiting to venture into the outdoors.  It will be great watching them explore. I never tire of seeing mine behaving like 'normal' hens.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

dawninspain

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2007, 08:46 »
Hello Sue, when we got our first chickens a few weeks ago they did not perch either and I asked the same question as you on this forum.

I was advised that sometimes they needed showing what to do - so when we went to shut them up for the night we lifted them onto the perches. Some of them still need to be lifted and some go up by themselves. I think probably if they were left to their own devices they would gradually go up onto the perches by the time it is completely dark.

We have since got a second lot of POLs and they are always in the hen house first and so far have jumped up by themselves.

Good luck, Dawn

Gloria

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2007, 09:05 »
Congratulations susie :D how exciting for you! We are getting two new girls on Saturday to add to our flock of five. The new ones will be ex-battery and are coming out of prison sat morning, we pick them up in the afternoon, so I imagine they'll be very overwhelmed by their new surroundings as well. My main concern is our old girls - the women's institute - they are fairly bossy so I think we'll have to keep a close eye on them all as the new ones settle in  :? Have fun with yours :lol:

xx
They've arrived!!

Started by sorrel on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post February 01, 2007, 19:46
by sorrel
xx
They've arrived!!!!

Started by Tigerwren on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post November 05, 2010, 05:33
by Fisherman
xx
C-Day has arrived!

Started by Njal on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post September 08, 2008, 17:14
by honeysuckle farm
xx
Peppa 2 has arrived

Started by mumsy on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post July 02, 2008, 11:40
by Jellyhead

Page created in 0.268 seconds with 36 queries.