Electric chicken fencing Help urgently needed!!

• 4 Replies

flangey

Electric chicken fencing Help urgently needed!!
« on: June 25, 2009, 16:03 »
Hello, this is my first time on this page, and I'm a new chicken keeper.  Although the garden is enclosed and we have 3 dogs, I have brought an electric netting kit so that my girls have a nice area to roam in when I'm out (and they dont trash my veg )!! However, I've tried to connect the fence to the energiser and battery, it doesnt seem to be working.  I can hear a faint clicking sound, but thats all.  We havn't used all the netting and what we have spare, we've wound around one of the posts.  I know it sounds a daft question, but having never used this sort of thing before it seems the only logical reason for it not working.  If so, what do I do with the spare netting?  In the meantime, the girls are safe as i put them in their run when I have to go out, but i let them wander round the garden when i'm home, but I need eyes in the back of my head!! Any help would be greatfully received

Rivereden

Re: Electric chicken fencing Help urgently needed!!
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2009, 16:24 »
Have you placed an earth rod into the ground. If not this could be some of the problem. The best thing to do with the surplus is to roll it out and make a double layer. If its rolled up it may earth out.

The earth rod really works well if you have 2 or even three all connected together and hammered into the ground as deep as you can but at least 2 feet.

Let us know how you get on

flangey

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2009, 16:44 »
Thank you so much for that, I dont think we had an earth wotsit in our kit, no suprise there though we had loads missing.  However, I will have a look and if not, I'll get one.  Fab idea about doubling up the netting, we'll give it a go and keep you posted.

nzdunn

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2009, 17:26 »
you could also try one of those pump action kiddys water guns, there brillant, and a blast by one of those will prehaps put some manners into him.   nickyx

desandchez

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2009, 16:40 »
Any metal rod wil do the trick

xx
Electric Fencing advice needed

Started by Knight Family on The Hen House

21 Replies
Last post February 04, 2010, 17:53
by Foxy
xx
Electric fencing - first shocks for my chickens. Reassurance needed!

Started by SusieB on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post November 22, 2015, 17:45
by Helenaj
xx
Chicken fencing - non electric

Started by Flowerpower136 on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post September 24, 2016, 07:42
by Flowerpower136
xx
electric fencing

Started by spikesgrandad on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 18, 2009, 20:46
by Foxy

Page created in 0.29 seconds with 36 queries.