what can I use to prevent boredom

• 7 Replies

sallylouise

what can I use to prevent boredom
« on: March 29, 2010, 11:06 »
Hello,
just after a bit of advice and to see what others use in the run for chickens to play with to prevent boredom, I have used a straw bale but that was too messy, they are only getting to free range about 1-2 times   :( a week at the moment as we are having an extension however they have ample room in their run to run about im and scratch and perch etc . I have bark down and I have a milk crate for them to stand on and there are 2 perches in the run but i want to make it a bit more interesting so I do not get aproblem with hen pecking. I have put cds on string before but they were not too excited about this and I have put home made peck ablocks which are great for short term amusment. I was thinking of putting a couple of footballs  ::)  but am a bit stumped as to what else I can put in so any ideas would be appreciated  :nowink:
thanks
 8)

clairebeau

• Experienced Member
    • My Blog. Brambly Corner.
Re: what can I use to prevent boredom
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2010, 11:09 »
Mine like baked potatoes! Also corn on the cob.   I just know that someone will now say I will have fat hens by doing this but if I am honest, my warrens have worried me in the past incase they are too thin.  They always lay so I think they must be OK.
Good Luck.  love Claire x
Claire. x

"Candy is dandy, but liquor is quicker!" - Ogden Nash

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2010, 11:25 »
How many chooks do you have and how big is their run SallyLouise ?

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2010, 11:28 »
Hang up a cabbage head for them to stretch up and peck at, do they also have a dust bath in their run?
Staffies are softer than you think.

sallylouise

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2010, 11:50 »
Hi guys thanks for the replies already,
the run is about 4 metres in length and about 2 metres in width and they also have the coop which has a indoors upstairs next box and about another 2 metres squared run, I have 3 chickens, so they have ample room.  I do give them treats but I am looking for more robust things I can entertain them with. which don't get eaten or destroyed. I have just gone and checked on them and they are loving the milk crate.
 :nowink:

compostqueen

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2010, 12:00 »
I gave mine a plastic chair, straw bales, peck a block type things, cuttle fish bone fixed to the run netting, great lump of cabbage  :D   If you move things about a bit that will help  :)

dizzylizzie

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2010, 15:55 »
I have all sorts in my runs/garden, i have tyres, buckets, CD's, logs, ramps , sandpits.....
They love the sandpits/dustbaths. In 1 i have sharp sand, and in the others i have soil. yesterday i emptied a wheelbarrow of stuff from the compost bin and they have had soo much fun digging through it. Dump a bag of bark in a pile, they will dig their way through it and spread it for you, like Joy says, hang a cabbage/lettuce up somewhere, make they work for their food. if you dont have room for all this, chickens really only need somewhere to perch, so maybe a sandbox/dustbath and some perches at different heights  ;)

Elcie

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2010, 19:04 »
I have a white plastic patio table in one corner, on top of which is a green plastic paddling pool (one of the turtle shape ones) filled with soil.  There is a chair next to it and they hop onto there and then into the soil.  They love scratching around in there and I sometimes put some grit in there too.  It was initially on the floor but I am aiming to make as much space as possible so raising it off the ground meant they had the space underneath it too.

xx
Rogue Hen or boredom??

Started by Amandal on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post September 03, 2007, 07:53
by Amandal
xx
Boredom during worming?

Started by Goldfinger on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post October 11, 2012, 19:13
by Anndee
xx
Boredom ball on ebay

Started by RoyMK on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 25, 2009, 21:17
by Caralou
xx
Should I use anything to prevent mites?

Started by chuckmum on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post October 03, 2009, 18:26
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.275 seconds with 29 queries.