Boredom during worming?

• 4 Replies

Goldfinger

Boredom during worming?
« on: October 07, 2012, 16:09 »

We're worming our chooks again, so have to keep them cooped up - no pun intended.

Since they're not allowed out or any treats/ greens / corn etc, is there anything I can do to relive / prevent boredom?

If looks could kill, I'd be dead by now, and it's only their second day!  :ohmy:

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Boredom during worming?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2012, 16:23 »
Mine are the same when being wormed  :lol:

When I mix up the medicated feed, I do mostly pellets but then just a small amount of a budgie seed mix (tonic or conditioning mix if you can find it) in a separate bowl, but weighed out so the total is 2kg.  You have to use a tiny amount of vegetable oil to get the powder to stick to the seeds, like you do with the pellets.

A small amount of these scattered over the run takes an age to find and keeps them digging for ages   :)

symonep

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2012, 20:49 »
I have never kept mine in if they are being wormed! They have their medicated layers which they eat so I can't see why they can't have treats etc. probably doing it wrong but they are fit healthy and don't have worms
Gained an allotment on the 19th June 08, 135ft by 40ft! eekk. Finally after 4 years it is looking like an allotment and not a jungle

We have 5 lovely hens in the garden, fish, 2 dogs and 2 canaries

themagicaltoad1

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2012, 22:09 »
I have never kept mine in if they are being wormed! They have their medicated layers which they eat so I can't see why they can't have treats etc. probably doing it wrong but they are fit healthy and don't have worms

Ditto. but I do give them a few grapes covered in flubenvet before bed just to make sure they're getting a good dose as they're eating other things in the garden instead of just the pellets.

Anndee

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2012, 19:13 »
I'm similar to the last two comments in that I give my three some boiled rice in a long tray, like you stand plant pots on, split into 3 small feeds  with a pinch of Flubenvet onto each portion. this is given first thing when they are hungry. I then let them out to free range. I do this for 7 days every 4 months. Don't appear to have any worm problems and hens are fit and healthy.

xx
what can I use to prevent boredom

Started by sallylouise on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post March 29, 2010, 19:04
by Elcie
xx
Rogue Hen or boredom??

Started by Amandal on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post September 03, 2007, 07:53
by Amandal
xx
Boredom ball on ebay

Started by RoyMK on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 25, 2009, 21:17
by Caralou
xx
worming???

Started by violet on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 29, 2008, 20:36
by violet

Page created in 0.437 seconds with 30 queries.