sleepy hen

• 6 Replies

Burny

sleepy hen
« on: March 28, 2010, 13:21 »
Please excuse my ignorance, but i'm new to keeping chickens and have only had 3 POL's for a week. Everything seemed fine for the first 6 days, ( 9 eggs between days 3 and 5) nice perky, lively girls. Let them free range yesterday for the first time and kept them out for a couple of hours. They went back home with no fuss. Let them out this morning and gradually 2 out of the 3 has become more and more lathargic to the point that they just sleeping, one of them has got her head under her wing and hasn't moved. Is this normal behaviour or should I be concerned. I've had 1 egg of one of them this morning.
Any advice would be most welcome.  Thanks

carolbriar

Re: sleepy hen
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2010, 18:09 »
I'm fairly new to this as well but wondered if it is possible that they ate something when they were free ranging?  How have they been during the rest of the day? I'm sure a more experienced member will come along with some suggestions.  Keep an eye on them and see how they go.  Good luck.
2 Springer Spaniels, 1 Speckled Sussex,  1 Cuckoo Maran, 1 Light Sussex, 1 Welsummer, 2 Barnvelders and 2 silver Pencil Wyandotes.

beulah59

• Experienced Member
    • Hen Keeper
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2010, 09:56 »
Could it be some kind of infection? Hens rarely eat anything that's bad for them. Is their breathing clear? Is there any discharge from eyes or nose?
two daughters, nine hens, two goldfish, three cats ...

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2010, 10:24 »
how are they today? If they are still the same perhaps you should take them to the vets.
Staffies are softer than you think.

dizzylizzie

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2010, 16:48 »
My buff orpinton sleeps with her head under her wing, but i wouldnt say its 'normal' to do this for a chicken, As you havent had them long, you wouldnt really know if this is normal behaviour for her so you will have to check for other signs of illness. Lift her wing up and feel her temperature, check the others aswel so you have something to compare with as hens temperatures run much higher than ours and they can feel hotter than you would expect them too. Is she eating? feel her crop at the end of the day to make sure there is food there. Does her chest sound clear, are her eyes and nose clear? Sometimes the stress of a new home can cause them to be under the weather a bit. Just keep a close eye on her and if she gets worse, pop her along to the vets.

Burny

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2010, 21:37 »
Thanks for all  your responses. She (Arabell) was just as lathargic this morning , didn't even come out of the coop so I rang the breeder I  got them from, fair play to them, she told me to take the three of them straight back to her so as she could check them over.
The breeder said Arabell was a little underweight and that she didnt' smell quite right, she gave her an injection and kept her there and gave me a replacement. She did say that she may not survive. The breeder also checked the other girls over (Mirabell and Whatthehell) and said they were fine but gave them an injection  just in case.
I have given their coop and run a thorough clean and disinfected it. Hopefully they will all be OK including Arabell

traacyken

• Experienced Member
  • my boy troy!
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2010, 22:39 »
dont fret too much yet maybe all the changes have upset them and there tired, give them  time and wait and see, hopefully they will be fine

exclamation
Is my sleepy hen ill?

Started by crem on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post November 08, 2009, 22:34
by crem
xx
Sleepy Chicken

Started by thechicken on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post February 15, 2016, 17:57
by Sassy
xx
Lethargic and sleepy hen

Started by Tom Parrot on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post March 04, 2016, 09:51
by Tom Parrot
question
Sleepy chooks?

Started by newChickenMummy on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post October 14, 2009, 09:31
by themagicaltoad1

Page created in 0.281 seconds with 29 queries.