Need bit of advise please. Duck and hen

• 4 Replies

Lottieluv

Need bit of advise please. Duck and hen
« on: March 29, 2010, 09:59 »
Hi I have kept chickens and have also kept ducks the hens for the eggs. And I got around 40 drake alsberrys last year for meat .  I am moveing house in June and will get some more stock but there's houses around so shhhhhhhhhh has to be a main thing. :(.  I know hens make a fair bit if noise when they cluck.  What are female ducks like ???? Are they going to be a better idea as they queit ???? Any help would be great . Many thanks .

The breed of duck would be Indian runners or crested or kaki campbells

Hens would be standard ISA brown hens  

Kate and her Ducks

Re: Need bit of advise please. Duck and hen
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2010, 12:02 »
Have to say my ducks are pretty noisy so it might be better to run it past your new neighbours before going ahead. Mine neighbours have always been fine about the noise that my girls make (which is more than the boys) and some even like the noise but can see that others might be different.

Campbells, runners and crested are all pretty noisy. Muscovies are quiet if you are really keen on ducks (and who wouldn't be!) and your neighbours object to the noise.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

Caralou

• Family Member.
    • Lowcostliving
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2010, 12:53 »
My ducks can be very noisy for brief periods of time and my chickens as well so I'd say they are about equal.

The ducks go mad at letting out time and the chickens go mad after having laid an egg. My Campbell is really noisy chattering all day and my Cayuga loves the sound of her own voice, but my Blue Swedish girl is very quiet and so is my Appleyard (although I think this is just her as my last Appleyard was a little noisier than this one).

My warren hens love squawking at me if they see me and after laying and I would say that although the warrens may make less noise during the day the noise they do make is more grating from a neighbour point of view. The duck noise is far more pleasant!

I think having a word with the new neighbours explaining that you intend to keep chickens and/or ducks and provided you don't let them out until after 7am the neighbours should be fine with them. Mine only notice the noise when something startles the flock and they all go off on one at the same time and then they just seem worried that my girls are okay so fingers crossed you get good neighbours who enjoy hearing the birds chattering away  :)

dizzylizzie

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2010, 15:32 »
My hens are noisy too!, they tell you when they are thinking of laying, then that they are going to, then that they are laying, then that they have laid then if someone else has laid, and most times in between :wacko:but i wouldnt be without them :tongue2:

Shedenvy

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2010, 22:59 »
we have five indian runners three of which are female, the males are very quiet sound like they have lost there voice but the females are very noisey I dont think you could keep their pressence a secret from your neighbours though not as bad a cockerals, next door have a couple and they are V loud but I dont mind them at all as we cant hear them in the house so they dont wake us up at 4am if your deeds stipulate no livestock then I wouldnt risk it, at our previous house one of the neighbours had 2 chickens but had to get rid of them because someone complained 

xx
1 aylesbury duck with 1 runner duck

Started by thedalaisheep on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 17, 2011, 10:29
by joyfull
xx
Any advise welcome

Started by leddenton on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post January 16, 2010, 13:22
by Sassy
xx
Advise please

Started by Bren200 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post July 09, 2013, 21:19
by ANHBUC
xx
I need your advise please

Started by krystal on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 10, 2011, 15:29
by bantam novice

Page created in 0.397 seconds with 37 queries.