Tomato Diseases

• 22 Replies

DadBear

• Experienced Member
Tomato Diseases
« on: June 01, 2007, 10:16 »
Good morning Dear Friends. I would be grateful if you all could have a look at the attached pictures. i took then this morning, and I fear they illustrate the dreaded tomato blight!  What do you think? At present, only a few of the lower leaves are affected. The plants are outside in grow bags against a fence, opposite my early potatoes... Any advice would be appreciated. thanks, DB

trying to be organic....

WG.

Tomato Diseases
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2007, 10:28 »
Blight usually attacks later in the season (and from the edges of the leaves).

I think this is a leaf mould - remove & destroy affected leaves provided you don't strip the plant.

Annie

Tomato Diseases
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2007, 10:36 »
Doesn`t look like blight to me either,I would have said scorch except you said lower leaves and we haven`t had much sun.

DadBear

• Experienced Member
Tomato Diseases
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2007, 10:55 »
Leaf mould... that's not too bad! And thinking about the weather, its been pretty dam with us recently... I guess that may be a cause...should I spray the plants with anything do you think? :)

WG.

Tomato Diseases
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2007, 11:07 »
Quote from: "DadBear"
Leaf mould... that's not too bad! And thinking about the weather, its been pretty dam with us recently... I guess that may be a cause...should I spray the plants with anything do you think? :)

Well ... like so many others ... your profile doesn't say whether you are looking for organic cures or not.  It makes it doubly-difficult to answer when one doesn't know.  See http://www.chat.allotment-garden.org/viewtopic.php?t=2820

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Tomato Diseases
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2007, 12:15 »
Couldn't just be frost could it?

Just come back from our site, one or two are moaning about the frost nipping their spuds, and in the area where it's got them it's also got the tomatoes.

As WG says - too early for blight.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

WG.

Tomato Diseases
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2007, 12:21 »
I'd expect frost to affect the edges first but your da man on the tomatoes DD.

I do have plenty of frost experience on tatties.

DadBear

• Experienced Member
Tomato Diseases
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2007, 12:31 »
Quote from: "whisky_golf"

Well ... like so many others ... your profile doesn't say whether you are looking for organic cures or not.  It makes it doubly-difficult to answer when one doesn't know.  See http://www.chat.allotment-garden.org/viewtopic.php?t=2820

Apologies for vagueness!!! I think I've updated the thing at the bottom... I'm trying to be organic but will try mild insecticides et.... :)

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Tomato Diseases
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2007, 12:42 »
I'd expect frost to affect the edges first but your da man on the tomatoes DD.

I do have plenty of frost experience on tatties.

Not saying that it is frost 'cos I've never been affilicted by it. However the spuds & toms I've seen down our site have had the centre of the leaves affected, I suppose this could be where the condensation collected & froze.

agapanthus

Tomato Diseases
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2007, 12:59 »

Apologies for vagueness!!! I think I've updated the thing at the bottom... I'm trying to be organic but will try mild insecticides et.... :)

You could try spraying them with a few drops of teatree oil added to water. I used this solution for the grey mould that always attacks my autumn planted onions and it worked!! :)

WG.

Tomato Diseases
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2007, 13:03 »
Thanks Aggy for that - I didn't actually have an organic cure up my sleeve for DadBear.  :oops:

Organic is more about prevention than about cure.   Manure-rich compost, hardy growth, crop rotation ... usual stuff.   If it was tatties, I'd be advocating foliar feeding but I dunno if you can do this with tomatoes

WG.

Tomato Diseases
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2007, 13:05 »
For non-organic readers, Doc Hessayon suggests something called carbendazim; spray at first signs of Tomato Leaf Mould (assuming that is what it is, of course).

DadBear

• Experienced Member
Tomato Diseases
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2007, 13:07 »
Tea tree oil... is that the stuff one can purchase from health food shops?  Sounds good....Dr Hessayon reccomends Carbendazim spray.. sounds nasty to me.. has anyone used it ? and does it have a 'trade' name ?... My toms are in organic grow bags and fed regularly... :D

DadBear

• Experienced Member
Tomato Diseases
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2007, 19:44 »
You could try spraying them with a few drops of teatree oil added to water. I used this solution for the grey mould that always attacks my autumn planted onions and it worked!! :)[/quote]

I've bought some tea tree oil... stuff called 'essential oil'... from Boots!! How strong did you make the solution? I presume fairly weak...? :?

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
Tomato Diseases
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2007, 21:28 »
Could this be "early blight" ?.
" causes brown patches with concentric circles ........ worst in warm wet weather "

Found this nice illustrated pdf download on tomato problems Here.
Also suitable for brassicas.

Also found this online tomato disorder identifier Here
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

xx
Tomato Diseases

Started by ness on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 16, 2007, 22:12
by noshed
xx
Tomato diseases

Started by joyandted on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 29, 2013, 19:09
by joyandted
xx
diseases in the ground?

Started by coo! on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 26, 2009, 12:28
by Aunt Sally
clip
Kale diseases

Started by Janvdw on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 14, 2023, 08:50
by Janvdw

Page created in 0.465 seconds with 37 queries.