Tomato diseases

• 3 Replies

joyandted

• Our other gardener 'TomTom'
Tomato diseases
« on: May 28, 2013, 20:21 »
Has anyone had problems growing tomatoes in the new type peat free compost. I have grown tomatoes for years without any problem,  This year I have potted on into the new type compost and to my dismay have found
black spots appearing on both top - side and underneath the lower leaves, which then turn yellow and sick. It is gradually affecting next layer of leaves.  No actual fungus visible under magnifying glass, but I have today sprayed with copper fungicide.

Growster...

Re: Tomato diseases
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2013, 20:40 »
I wouldn't bet on it being the peat-free compost, J and T, but more likely the inhospitable starting conditions we're all getting.

Our toms (outside), have beige mottling on the leaves which certainly isn't Mosaic, but we've had that sort of discolouration before, and the upper leaves seem fine after a while!

Your's certainly won't be blighted yet but it does sound like a fungal problem, and probably a copper based application will deal with it!

Let us know how you get on anyway, as toms are a staple here!

bravemurphy

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2013, 21:32 »
I have that too on a small batch in the small green house that are in an auto pot system.

The new growth looks fine tho.

joyandted

• Our other gardener 'TomTom'
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2013, 19:09 »
Thanks for the replies - I will keep you posted. This is something completely new to me after 50 years of growing tomatoes, so I'm baffled with it.  I have also, today, sprayed the plants with a dilution of Epson Salts as suggested in John's book.   

It doesn't matter how long you have been gardening, there is always something new to learn!

xx
Tomato Diseases

Started by ness on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 16, 2007, 22:12
by noshed
xx
Tomato Diseases

Started by DadBear on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post March 03, 2010, 06:43
by robin ledrew
xx
diseases in the ground?

Started by coo! on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 26, 2009, 12:28
by Aunt Sally
clip
Kale diseases

Started by Janvdw on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 14, 2023, 08:50
by Janvdw

Page created in 0.481 seconds with 36 queries.