electric fencing

• 5 Replies

chuckmum

• Experienced Member
electric fencing
« on: March 14, 2010, 20:12 »
What is the general opinion on electric fencing for hens? Does it stop the fox? Does it prevent chickens from breaking out?

lucylou

• Experienced Member
Re: electric fencing
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2010, 20:52 »
hiya chuckmum - i asked this question a little while ago and on balancing the responses decided to go ahead with it - i really had no optioon but to go for it or not get more girls)will let you know how we get on with it now it is up (teething problems see my post today about the fencing)  i got the 1.2 metre tall stuff and i clipped their wings too, noone tried to break out today too busy basking in the sun :D lucyloux

janette

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2010, 21:32 »
I think electric fencing is a great asset when it's working properly it does not have to be too high to be effective . I lost a lot of stock last year when mine was down .it started when a lamb got caught in the flexy netting (which we have now banned) they got the taste and came back several times untill we got it sorted . we had a little help from a gun and a dog !!!!!!

ehs284

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2010, 08:18 »
Janette's comment is important. If you have sheep around (as we do) then they will panic when they come into contact with the electric fence and try to push their way through. You not only have a damaged fence but have to rescue a panic stricken animal which does not want to be pulled backwards. We have ended up with a series of fences for different problems - keeping chooks in, keeping foxes etc out and protecting the fences from other influences (including rabbits). There are people about who think that chook keeping is easy and cheap  :nowink:

cornishgirl

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2010, 21:21 »
Electric fencing is a good option for free ranging hens. I have had only a few problems with my set up, ie specific poultry electric fencing. My main problem has been with the energizers which can be tempremental - they need to be kept water tight - so pop a  covering over them. The advantages of electric fencing are that you can move your hens aroung onto fresh pasture easily, which cuts down on pests and their resulting diseases. It alos means that your hens can have the best diet ie their feed is supplemented by grass and bugs producing brilliant orange yolks. We have foxes in our fields - and they won't go near the electirc fences (also helped by our dog, and vigilant local lads)!

lucylou

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2010, 21:38 »
hi cornish girl, im interested in the problems youve had with your fencing - ive pm'd you. lucyloux

xx
Electric fencing

Started by Hawkins on The Hen House

37 Replies
Last post November 12, 2008, 23:37
by DECAL MAN
xx
electric fencing

Started by spikesgrandad on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 18, 2009, 20:46
by Foxy
xx
A run Vs electric fencing

Started by vicky_b on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post April 22, 2010, 09:06
by Sassy
xx
electric fencing

Started by hermon on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post February 18, 2008, 20:30
by Lost in France

Page created in 0.476 seconds with 28 queries.