A run Vs electric fencing

• 4 Replies

vicky_b

A run Vs electric fencing
« on: April 20, 2010, 13:58 »
Hi all,

I am getting 3 or 4 chickens to keep in my smallish back garden.

Originally i was going to get a coop with an attached run that was fox proof.

Ideally, I'd like the chickens to free range in around the garden and not be stuck in the run all day whilst I'm at work.

My boyfriend thinks that we could use electric fencing around the top of our fence as an alternative to the run - so that the chickens can have the whole garden whilst we're out.

I feel more confident about keeping them safe from the fox in a run, but do like the idea of the being able to potter around the garden all day.

From your experience o great forum members, what do you reckon??

Thanks a lot!

marianwhittock

Re: A run Vs electric fencing
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 16:12 »
I have mine in a run in the day and then let them out in the garden when we are home.  This works for me - I don't have to worry about mr fox sneaking in when I am not looking!

However, I work from home a day or so a week so this afternoon they have been out since about 2 pm.  once you start letting them out I have discovered that they assume you are always going to let them out and they barge out of the pen as soon as you open it.  :happy:

Sassy

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010, 08:49 »
I personally would prefer the electric fencing to give them more freedom. However if you are electrifying the top of the fence what steps are you taking to prevent a fox digging in? Have you considered a poultry net which can be electrified? Just a thought. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

vicky_b

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010, 18:16 »
Hi Sassy,

I have now come across the electric net fencing, which i think would be a better option as it gives me more control.

I can give the chickens more room, whilst keeping them away from my delicate vegetable shoots! And it seems that there are less weak points this way too.

I've been reading that 3-5 foot is the necessary height to keep a fox out. How high is yours? Or do you have a wire netting roof too?

Thanks!

Sassy

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2010, 09:06 »
I think mine is approx 4 feet. With an electrified net you would not need protection to prevent a fox digging in. I do not have a roof over mine. What I have seen suggested on here is to bait the net with somehting tasty so that any foxes get a shock from the net and learn to be frightened of it.

xx
electric fencing

Started by Stemar on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post July 01, 2009, 07:58
by Sassy
xx
Electric fencing

Started by North Devon Dumpling on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post September 21, 2009, 15:25
by Foxy
xx
Electric fencing

Started by beekeeper on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 24, 2011, 17:29
by darkbrowneggs
xx
electric fencing instead of a run...

Started by Nicki85 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post April 11, 2011, 21:48
by ManicMum

Page created in 0.504 seconds with 36 queries.