Electric fencing

• 37 Replies

Hawkins

Electric fencing
« on: November 06, 2008, 21:36 »
Please can people tell me or offer advice on electric fencing and battery energisers. I have one atthe moment but am less than impressed with it.

So on my wish list is a new electric net and energiser to run off a leisure battery. I guess a good net and energiser will cost me about £200.00 which is fine as long as I get a good one and with my mink problem at the moment ( havent caught the little Bu*ger yet) probably need one with the smallest holes at the bottom as possible.

any advice?

Em
Em  

We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Vember

Electric fencing
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2008, 21:52 »
Hi Em

Have you had a look at Foxy's thread on Fox proofing :?

There's a link in there about electric fencing :)

http://www.chat.allotment-garden.org/viewtopic.php?t=25998

Not sure if it's what your after :?

Sarah :D

desandchez

LECKY FENCING
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2008, 09:23 »
BEST THING I EVER BOUGHT I LAID OLD SCAFFOLD BOARDS (FLAT)AROUND THE PERIMMITER THEN DRILLED HOLES AND PUT THE FENCE ON THE BOARDS SAVES THE SHORTING ON THE WET GRASS.#
TRY www.flytesofancy.co.uk NOT THE CHEAPEST BUT GOOD VALUE

Bodger

Electric fencing
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2008, 09:37 »
Ooh that last ones a good tip, I'll look into that. :thumright:

The most reasonable priced electric chicken netting by a long way even with carriage is Mole Valley farmers.

Sassy

Electric fencing
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2008, 10:06 »
I spent £270 on a complete kit in the spring, which is erected. However, the electric has never been switched on, as with the wet summer as well, the grass has been unmanageable and would have shorted the fence. We simply do not have the time, or inclination, and neither does the terrain lend itself to mowing the grass weekly which of course means moving the carefully erected fence and all the pegs etc.

However, we have not given up and we are seeking a permanent solution to this as I do feel that  electric fencing is the best solution to protect poultry. Ideas so far, and I like the scaffolding board idea but 50 m of it would be very expensive even if you could get enough old ones, builders damp proof course which comes in varying widths altho how to fix it down as grass would push it up. My father suggests getting a wide damp proof course and digging it in either side. Alternatively strips of old carpet - this will rot down over time some quicker than others but is a good cheap recycling solution. Old carpet is usually available on Freecycle. We are lucky enough to have space to move our fence round so are looking at doing three areas - hard work but once done should be easy to maintain.

Sorry to go on but this has been the focus of much pulling out of hair this summer, but we still feel electric fencing is the way to go. :)  :)  :)

Hope my ramble helps
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

happy chick

• Experienced Member
Electric fencing
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2008, 10:09 »
Apologies in advance if I'm asking a reeeallly stoopid question here, (I haven't got the foggiest when it comes to anything tecchy!) :oops:
but......
       ...................for those of us with chicken wire fencing instead of the preferred, more effective weld mesh fencing, well, could we electrify that instead of replacing it with weldmesh? Would that be an easier option? :?
Thoughts lead on to purposes; purposes go forth in action; actions form habits; habits decide character; and character fixes our destiny
                                         - Tyron Edwards

Sassy

Electric fencing
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2008, 10:21 »
I'm not at all technical but I don't think this would be advisable - you may end up with fried chicken!!

I am sure someone with more knowledge will be along to advise

happy chick

• Experienced Member
Electric fencing
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2008, 10:28 »
Ah, I see. So is it the netting that enables the right amount of shock to be given?

Sassy

Electric fencing
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2008, 10:44 »
Sorry I can't help. But would definitely advise you getting proper advice. Even fencing from a car battery can cause fires. :shock:  :shock:

Foxy

Electric fencing
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2008, 11:00 »
Quote from: "happy chick"
Ah, I see. So is it the netting that enables the right amount of shock to be given?

No its the energiser or fencer that dictates the voltage not the netting or wire.

No you can really electrify normal chicken wire as it is usually galvanised so may not be able to conduct effectively. It would also be difficult to set up to prevent "shorting" A lot of power would also be needed to conduct through all that wire.

Sassy -The bottom wire wont be electro magnetic, so it the bottom wire is touching thats not a problem. As long as the grass isn't too long wont really be too bad as long as you have a good quality energiser. Shorting just means draining the power, it wont damage the netting or energiser. If you use a good fence tester and have 3000 volts you will be fine! :D
I have one like in the link -

https://ssl1.lon.gb.securedata.net/agri-supply.co.uk/merchantmanager/product_info.php?cPath=10&products_id=27&mmsid=21b8fa4ded9b5672af2a1aff0087d1a0

happy chick

• Experienced Member
Electric fencing
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2008, 11:27 »
Thanks Foxy for giving us the right facts.  And Sassy, I wouldn't dream of going anywhere near electrics or anything of that ilk with my nonexistent knowledge on the subject :shock:  :shock: . Just wanted to try and gain some knowledge by asking questions :D

Foxy

Electric fencing
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2008, 11:46 »
I have to admit  Happychick I just know enough to get by, is my hubby with the expertise -although his patience is wearing thin since I inadvertently electrocuted him! :lol:
I do test the fence a lot -my paranoia with the fence rivals Roughlee!! :lol:

happy chick

• Experienced Member
Electric fencing
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2008, 12:39 »
Thank goodness for competent OHs!!  
He doesn't know it yet, but electric fencing is on my long suffering OH's never-ending list of things to do.  As an IT consultant to MOD and previous weapons engineer in Royal Navy, he 'should' cope with some electric fencing !!! She says...........
                                                    watch this space...........

sunshinemedic

Electric fencing
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2008, 20:06 »
I live next to allotments and came home just after sundown yesterday to the harrowing sound of a fox attack on the chooks there  :cry:  :cry:

It had been raining hard and it looks like the electric fence shorted on some wet grass.  :cry:

nnbreeder

• Experienced Member
Electric fencing
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2008, 01:34 »
Wander around on this site, good quality equipment sold worldwide and the customer support that is tops. They make chargers/energizers that will keep the smallest dog in the yard or will turn a full grown Grizzley bear.. We keep stallians and our charger will drop a horse to it's knees or leave a nasty burn on a human through a shirt.
http://www.gallagher.co.uk/uk/getpage.asp?i=1

xx
electric fencing

Started by chickerun on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post September 22, 2009, 20:55
by Chookster
xx
electric fencing

Started by hermon on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post February 18, 2008, 20:30
by Lost in France
xx
electric fencing

Started by Stemar on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post July 01, 2009, 07:58
by Sassy
xx
Electric Fencing

Started by Foghorn on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post March 16, 2012, 09:17
by Mrs Bee

Page created in 0.231 seconds with 29 queries.