electric fencing

• 16 Replies

Stemar

electric fencing
« on: June 27, 2009, 11:36 »
Dear All,

We will finally be collecting our 4 POL chickens next weekend. The coop/run is ready and we have just erected electric fencing which is 1.2 metres high and 25m long which I hope will give them plenty of room to roam. However  I am feeling nervous at leaving them out all day,  usually around 10 hours.  We do see foxes in our garden from time to time.  I know they are very wiley (spelling? ???) creatures - are there any guarantees that they will be safe?

On another note will the chickens be able to fly over the fence!  We were going to put branches in for them to perch but this will give them extra height and may make it easier for them to escape.  Our supplier said that if we keep hens in the house when they first arrive they will recognise this as their home and will not  escape and that clipping their wings will not be necessary.   Any advise/opinions will be gratefully accepted. 

Rubellite

Re: electric fencing
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2009, 21:51 »
I have mine behind 1.2m leccy fencing in an open field and they don't go anywhere near it let alone try to fly over it. They are quite happy pottering around within the perimeter.
Don't know about Mr Fox but my dogs have tested it and all keep well away too. :)

Stemar

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2009, 07:27 »
Thanks Rubellite,

You don't clip their wings then?

SMD66

• sunrise over the canal
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2009, 08:15 »
We found that they stay put generally without wing clipping. Put the perches in the middle of the run or they may use them as a 'spring board'.   Like Rubellite our dogs have come across elec fencing in our pig enclosure and they hate it and I have heared foxes are the same.  Good luck.
Music self played is pleasure self made
Samantha :)

Rubellite

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2009, 22:36 »
Thanks Rubellite,

You don't clip their wings then?

Sorry for delay, been to a wedding!!!
I don't clip their wings, others do though. Mine seem happy to stay put  :)
Actually saw a crow sitting on the top strand one day last week  :(
I'd left my watering can by the side of the battery and the wind had blown it into the fence rendering it useless  :ohmy: Won't do that again!!!!!
Fortunately I'm up the field at least three times a day so usually pick up if anything is untoward.

Chicken n Veg

• Chicken 'n Veg (Blog)
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2009, 23:58 »
Our hens are currently protected by a 50m electric fencem, the same height as the one you mentioned. We let them free range in this area all day and they have never got out. They do have their wings clipped as a precaution. We have also made sure there are no raised places in the run that they could launch themselves from. We also bought a set of 10 extra poles as the netting did sag a lot in some places. With the extra poles we haven't had to use any guy rope to taughten it.

We definitely do have foxes visiting the garden (vixen and 3 cubs) most evenings. I have seen them in the morning when I let the chickens out and they have also been known to sun themselves on the lawn during the day, but we have not lost any hens yet (only had them for eight weeks though). I think that as long as you remember to always turn the fence on and check that it is putting out the right voltage (buy a cheap fence tester) the foxes won't try to get in. Or at least they won't try after they have been shocked a couple of times.

Also make sure there are no items on the outside of the fence that the fox could climb on to jump over the fence more easily, eg. treestumps.

John

Rubellite

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2009, 12:09 »
Yes, we also needed about twice the amount of posts that the fence came with as our field is windy and the fence was sagging in the wind!

flangey

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2009, 13:31 »
Hello, I would say clip their wings if you have any doubts about them flying over, but I wouldnt think they would attempt it as mine dont go anywhere near the fence when its on.  Foxy should stay well away, even if they attempt to jump it, they will check it out first and get a shock which should put them off.  Make sure you clamp down the bottom line if you have uneven ground. On our netting the line that runs along the bottom isn't live and they could dig under if the gap is big enough,  so we just hammer load of pegs along it to make sure. 

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2009, 14:26 »
May I suggest that you "bait" your electric netting before the chucks turn up.  The fox needs to respect you netting.  You can use cat food placed inside the netting but right up next to it, or and fresh bones. 

Mine chucks did fly over the netting so clip one wing.
See below, I found this one one winter evening after checking them.

Stuart

Dont worry I am just paranoid duckie.

If I get the wrong end of the stick its because I have speed read. Honest.

Blar blar blar blar snorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre.

janeheritage

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2009, 15:30 »
Ruff, is that chook roosting on your tractor?  :lol: :tongue2:
No one can understand the truth until he drinks of coffee's frothy goodness

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2009, 15:35 »
Ruff, is that chook roosting on your tractor?  :lol: :tongue2:

Yes it took me ages to find her as well.

Rubellite

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2009, 17:40 »
 :lol: :lol:
They lke getting you at it don't they Rough?
What goes around comes around - lol!

Stemar

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2009, 20:03 »
Many thanks for all your replies.  I will definately try baiting the fox as Roughlee suggests - very good idea and it seems as if I will have to pluck up my nerve to clip their wings. 

At this moment I am making a list of products to buy in the event of any health problems.  Having read these highly informative and sometimes hilarious threads my list contains the following:

cod liver oil
baytril
flubenvet
poultry spice

If anyone has any other suggestions I would rather have any medicines/treatments at hand than get in a panic trying to obtain in the event of a chicken getting poorly and all the shops are shut!!

Maria

Stemar

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2009, 20:53 »
Sorry,

forgot to mention we already have:

diatom, Verm X, louse poder, cider apple vinegar and poultry shield.

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2009, 21:34 »
baytril is only prescribed via a vet.

xx
Electric fencing

Started by beekeeper on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 24, 2011, 17:29
by darkbrowneggs
xx
electric fencing instead of a run...

Started by Nicki85 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post April 11, 2011, 21:48
by ManicMum
xx
Electric fencing ?

Started by Bodger on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post July 29, 2008, 14:56
by Bodger
xx
electric fencing

Started by Hawkins on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 21, 2009, 08:29
by Sassy

Page created in 0.655 seconds with 36 queries.