The course of true love.... A bit of a 'what would you do?'

• 4 Replies

pandora

I have 3 pens of chickens now. The 2 lots I mentioned last time I had a bit of a problem, and I have now put my Polands and Silkies in a separate run. (They were getting a bit squished by my amorous big marans cockerel.) So I have 2 Poland hens and their cockerel and 2 Silkie girls in this run. All very happy. Then one day one of my warrens from the furthest away of the other runs had managed to join them. I put her back where she belonged, but she keeps on getting back in somehow. I have even clipped her wing so she can't fly over the fence, but that hasn't stopped her. I don't know how she does it, as I have never seen her in her dash for freedom. Anyway, whatever I do with her, she manages on a daily basis to negotiate 2 tall fences to get in with her little Polish lover. They really do seem to love each other!

Now this would not be a problem, however she picks the feathers on the top of his crest out. He doesn't put up any resistance to this mutilation - in fact he seems to prefer spending time with his Big Bessie to his other more appropriate ladies. My options are to lock him away in a stable till his crest grows back, lock her away or accept that he is going to have a little bald patch.

I've tried putting purple spray on his bald bit, but she seems to be able to see right through it.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: The course of true love.... A bit of a 'what would you do?'
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 10:50 »
fit a beak bit to her and then she can live happily along side of them - however is she eating the feathers? they do this to get protein so maybe give her a little bit of extra protein in her diet.
Staffies are softer than you think.

pandora

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 14:13 »
Off to google beak bit now. Never heard of one before

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2010, 14:29 »
here is a link to the domestic fowl trusts anti pecking page in their online shop - it shows what they look like and how they fit  :)

http://www.domesticfowltrust.co.uk/products/Anti_Pecking_Products.html

chooksbury

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2010, 22:15 »
Good luck - we're experiencing a happy ever after after fitting a bumper bit to Dorothy.. and they all have extra protein !

xx
True love!

Started by cluckingmad on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post March 05, 2008, 21:29
by babe
xx
is this true

Started by naturesparadise on The Hen House

20 Replies
Last post March 11, 2008, 09:27
by Foxy
xx
Ash baths ....is this true?

Started by oddpaws on The Hen House

21 Replies
Last post August 26, 2009, 14:43
by littlewitch
xx
just heard this bit of news - is it true or an old wives tale

Started by JACDORE on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 08, 2012, 16:03
by ANHBUC

Page created in 0.254 seconds with 38 queries.