re: hens & electric fence

• 4 Replies

lucylou

• Experienced Member
re: hens & electric fence
« on: March 03, 2010, 19:56 »
hi! how soon do hens get used to the electric fence? - has anyone seen how they react to it? - im putting some exbats into a field + electric fence, it will be their first time outside and i am worried that it will be traumatic for them when they get an electric shock. manythanks, lucyloux

ehs284

Re: re: hens & electric fence
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 21:48 »
Not sure about exbats as they may have fewer insulating feathers. Ours (hybrids) had a few shocks, looked disgusted and didn't worry any more. They even worked out that the lower line was safe and (I'm sure) realised that they got a shock touching with their head, but could use the feathers on their back to enable them to safely slide under the fence.
On the other hand it does seem that we have a collection of thrill seeking chooks  :D.

lucylou

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 22:13 »
thanks for that ehs24, the fencing ive ordered is eletrified right down to the ground(i think) so i hope they wont sneak under it! anyway its the only way i can use the field for them in relative saftey i hope. im looking forward to getting them - it will be a bit different from my robust buxom girls that i keep in the garden :D

dizzylizzie

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2010, 23:44 »
Ex-batts ar clever little things...although i have no experiance with electric fencing, i have lots with ex-batts. they wont take long to learn im sure :D

Sassy

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2010, 08:21 »
Mine have been in a run surrounded with electric fencing for over a year but was not turned on. It got turned on about 10 days ago and they are fine. Probably not very fair on them as they had got used to poking their heads through as far as they possibly could to get to things! Have seen 2 get zapped, not impressed but I'm sure its better than a fox ;) ;) ;)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

xx
Electric fence vs fixed fence...

Started by Hen 1-0 Fox on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 07, 2012, 08:05
by nerdle
xx
electric fence

Started by chelseablue on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post November 10, 2007, 22:42
by babe
xx
Which electric fence...?

Started by Farmer Woosnip on The Hen House

21 Replies
Last post July 23, 2011, 23:35
by Junie
xx
electric fence

Started by chelseablue on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post October 28, 2007, 16:36
by chelseablue

Page created in 0.392 seconds with 36 queries.