and they are stunning looking birds and now im confused  :lol:  :lol:

Tracey

Re: is this true
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2008, 09:50 »
Quote from: "naturesparadise"
that you cant have two cockerels im having a big problem making up my mined

what breed of chooks to have i like the light sussex but i just found Vorwerk's

I have 2 Cockerels ( and in the past 5 of them) and until recently never had a problem, but this was due to the fact i only had one hen left ( good job she was quick on her feet  :lol: ). However now i have added 6 other girls the problem of them fighting has ceased. If you get them when they are young there is less likelyhood that they will fight and make sure there are enough girls to go round. It also depends on the breed as some are definately better at being social than others and is worth researching before you get them. You could also try a little trick i was told years ago. When you put them in at night, rub each one of them on the beak with garlic, and then do the same to the new ones you are adding. Apparently they dont fight as they all smell the same. I cant tell you how true this is, but i have done it will all mine and never had a problem. Now was it the garlic or would they have got along anyway lol :?  Hope this helps a little.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
is this true
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2008, 09:55 »
Hi Tracey, and welcome to the best forum in the world!!!!  That was an interesting tip about the garlic!  do you think it would work with hens too when you are introducing new ones into a flock?

And of course you could have told the world that the 6 new chooks you got are MY AMBERLINKS!!!!!!!!!    :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Tracey

is this true
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2008, 10:40 »
Quote from: "GrannieAnnie"
Hi Tracey, and welcome to the best forum in the world!!!!  That was an interesting tip about the garlic!  do you think it would work with hens too when you are introducing new ones into a flock?

And of course you could have told the world that the 6 new chooks you got are MY AMBERLINKS!!!!!!!!!    :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Oh no how remiss of me....hang on will rectify that now lol

ATTENTION ATTENTION.....MY 6 NEW CHOOKS ARE THE BEST AMBERLINKS FROM OUR VERY OWN GRANNIE ANNIE ( Cue Fanfare  :D  )

Hi Ann
Yes it does work with chickens or i presume it does as ive never had a problem and have done it to all new hens that i introduce to an existing flock, you can but give it a go. Maybe if more people try it and it works then we will know if it is the garlic or not lol. Thankyou for the welcome, i can see myself spending many hours on here, its great.x

poultrygeist

is this true
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2008, 11:30 »
Hello tracey,

Welcome, welcome.

We are another GrannieAnnie Amberlink club member.

We'll have to get a T-shirt printed.  8)

Rob

naturesparadise

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2008, 12:13 »
Quote from: "Tracey"

I have 2 Cockerels ( and in the past 5 of them) and until recently never had a problem, but this was due to the fact i only had one hen left ( good job she was quick on her feet  :lol: ). However now i have added 6 other girls the problem of them fighting has ceased. If you get them when they are young there is less likelyhood that they will fight and make sure there are enough girls to go round. It also depends on the breed as some are definately better at being social than others and is worth researching before you get them. You could also try a little trick i was told years ago. When you put them in at night, rub each one of them on the beak with garlic, and then do the same to the new ones you are adding. Apparently they dont fight as they all smell the same. I cant tell you how true this is, but i have done it will all mine and never had a problem. Now was it the garlic or would they have got along anyway lol :?  Hope this helps a little.

thanks great tips however chickens cant smell 99.99% birds have no sens of smell  :lol:  :lol:

Tracey

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2008, 12:23 »

thanks great tips however chickens cant smell 99.99% birds have no sens of smell  :lol:  :lol:

Oooooo lol, actually it has been researched over the past few years and has been recorded that chickens actually have an acute sense of smell but very little taste receptors, but im no expert in this lol. If it is the case with no smell then the garlic tip is pants!!!!!!! ( oh the shame lol  :oops: ).

Tracey

is this true
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2008, 12:25 »
Quote from: "poultrygeist"
Hello tracey,

Welcome, welcome.

Rob

Do you think "We got our hands on Grannies amberlinks" would lower the tone too much????? :lol:

naturesparadise

is this true
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2008, 12:29 »
no you are right
Medical Research Council (MRC) scientists have ended lengthy scientific speculation by confirming that chickens have an acute sense of smell. This is just is just one surprising fact uncovered by the MRC team studying the evolution of genes as part of the International Chicken Genome Sequencing Project. More importantly, they discovered that by tracking the genetic changes over the 300 million years since mammals and birds diverged on the tree of life, they could pinpoint the most essential and promising areas of the human genome for future medical research.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/17563.php

well they do say you learn something new every day  :lol:  :lol:

Tracey

is this true
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2008, 12:34 »
no you are right
Medical Research Council (MRC) scientists have ended lengthy scientific speculation by confirming that chickens have an acute sense of smell. This is just is just one surprising fact uncovered by the MRC team studying the evolution of genes as part of the International Chicken Genome Sequencing Project. More importantly, they discovered that by tracking the genetic changes over the 300 million years since mammals and birds diverged on the tree of life, they could pinpoint the most essential and promising areas of the human genome for future medical research.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/17563.php

well they do say you learn something new every day  :lol:  :lol:

Phew.............. :)

poultrygeist

is this true
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2008, 12:48 »
Quote from: "poultrygeist"
Hello tracey,

Welcome, welcome.

Rob

Do you think "We got our hands on Grannies amberlinks" would lower the tone too much????? :lol:

You'd have to sink much, much lower to do that ! :wink:
Rob

naturesparadise

is this true
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2008, 14:47 »
so that means i could keep 6 light sussex and 6 vorwerk's

and have a cockbird of both

babe

• elvis king of chooks
is this true
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2008, 16:38 »
so that means i could keep 6 light sussex and 6 vorwerk's

and have a cockbird of both

no flock is complete without a POLAND

and a brahma and a frizzle and a cream legbar and a ........ need i go on

Foxy

is this true
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2008, 17:16 »
The breed, age and how many hens is important. I have 4 cockerels running with, thirteen hens, I have a much older "policeman" who has been with all of them since they were chicks and does rule the roost and break up any spats. I have found that if you remove any when returned they will be an almighty bust up until they sort themselves out. Aggressive birds will fight to the death in this situation. I have cochin, favs and a pekin cockerel. The pekin is boss! The most docile is Biggins my black cochin although the biggest has the quiet crow! :lol:  :lol:
If you are going to get cockerels probably better to hatch or get them as young as possible, if you have an older cock so much the better!
Can you spot them all here?  :wink:

tter!

Vember

is this true
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2008, 18:39 »
Wow they all look real happy  :D

xx
Ash baths ....is this true?

Started by oddpaws on The Hen House

21 Replies
Last post August 26, 2009, 14:43
by littlewitch
xx
The course of true love.... A bit of a 'what would you do?'

Started by pandora on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post March 03, 2010, 22:15
by chooksbury
xx
True love!

Started by cluckingmad on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post March 05, 2008, 21:29
by babe
xx
just heard this bit of news - is it true or an old wives tale

Started by JACDORE on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 08, 2012, 16:03
by ANHBUC

Page created in 0.266 seconds with 37 queries.