beans and wigwams

• 20 Replies

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: beans and wigwams
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2010, 19:45 »
I saw a programme (can't pin down what series it was :( ) where they were rebuilding an old kitchen garden (wonder if it was Heligan?? )
Anyway, they had their bean frames in rows of Vs. The idea was that the beans would all hang on the outside over the paths, and they thought that it would make the beans grow straight. The beans did hang down, of course, but no straighter...they put that  down to weird weather :lol:

PennyS

• My website
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2010, 09:31 »
"3 different options"

I used to use A-frame, but all the beans hung down "inside", which was annoying. I now use X-frame. 

I'm still considering my options and an X frame also looks nice and quick so might yet go for this.    Can I ask - what direction do you put your X in - ie which bit points south?

Cheers, Penny  :)
Lotty holder since Aug 09... I've FINALLY finished clearing it! On with the p.lanting  ....

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2010, 13:01 »
I think N/S is down to the orientation of your plot really, but my rows run N-S [i.e. the X is E-W] which I think is ideal, but some may say that running the row E-W, but at the North end of your plot, means that they don't shade anything :)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2010, 13:32 »
I tried the "X" variation on the inverted "V" arrangement and agree that it was an improvement in terms of giving the beans more room to develop and easier access to them. Only problem was that some of the sticks (bamboo canes) broke under the weight so I would recommend using the newest, strongest canes you can get.

Just a note to Kristen whilst I'm on the subject; if you want to go the trouble of making your Munty frame out of angle iron you can use galvanised wire for the stringing which is therefore permanent (as long as the wire lasts). For the vertical supports I used straight lengths of wire bent into a hook at the top; these are inserted into holes drilled into the (lower) horizontal cross-member and pushed into the soil. Easy to remove for cultivating the soil in autumn and easy to put back the following year!
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2010, 15:06 »
Thanks JayG.

My Climbing Beans move with my rotation ... so it suits me better to have something that's easy to move.  Luddite=me!

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2010, 15:44 »
Not at all! I used to dutifully rotate mine every year but have got to the age where the annual beanstick-planting routine has gone onto the growing list of jobs that make me grumpy! 
>:(

xx
Peas/french beans in wigwams

Started by skinupthen on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post March 25, 2010, 19:19
by Yorkie
xx
Tomato Wigwams

Started by granjan on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 26, 2010, 14:01
by granjan
xx
Making cane wigwams

Started by little sweetpeas on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post March 20, 2007, 12:13
by muntjac
xx
Sowing time and spacing for growing Wizard beans for beans, not as green manure

Started by Snoop on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post September 01, 2014, 08:57
by Snoop

Page created in 1.069 seconds with 30 queries.