beans and wigwams

• 20 Replies

Y.E.A.H

• I love growing unusual vegetables!
beans and wigwams
« on: January 27, 2010, 19:45 »
I've read in a book that wigwams of beans look nicer and are stronger than the common A frame method. is this correct ?
« Last Edit: March 27, 2010, 13:28 by blackcap1000 »

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: beans and wigwams
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2010, 19:50 »
Aesthetics are in the eye of the beholder.

The wigwam is inherently stong as the canes support each other, but it gets very crowded at the top when the runners start to compete for space.

I always go for the traditional "A" frame, for no better reason than I've always done it that way. This is to an lesser extent self-supporting.

Then of course there's the Munty frame, but you must have seen that thread!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

grenhouse

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2010, 19:59 »
I grew beans in a wigwam, and the big A frame last year. For ease of picking, the A fram was much easier, its a lot harder to get the beans on the inside of the wigwam (does look better though!).

Steve

Trillium

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2010, 20:38 »
While the wigwams do look nice, you'd have to have a lot of them if you're growing a number of plants.

Personally, I made a Munty frame and love it. So do the cukes which appreciate some shade and took over the underside of the frame.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2010, 20:41 »
I also found that the beans on the northern side of the wigwam didn't do as well as they were quite shaded by those on the southern side.  For some reason the effect didn't seem quite as marked on a row of canes, even  those running E-W  :wub:
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

A. Fallowfield

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2010, 20:55 »
Put this up in the rain today! Probably leave the north side open, somewhere to hide! :tongue2:

PennyS

• My website
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2010, 21:18 »
What no Munty frame?  :D
Lotty holder since Aug 09... I've FINALLY finished clearing it! On with the p.lanting  ....

Salmo

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2010, 23:29 »
Why are you putting the bean frames up so soon?

There should be
 - A Winter/Spring crop that will be lifted/cut by bean planting time.
 - Salads or other quick crops planned before beans
 - Ground left uncropped but cultivated to reduce weed seed.
 - Green manure

Y.E.A.H

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2010, 11:30 »
i like your wigwam A. Fallowfield  :)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2010, 13:22 »
Runner beans are my favourite veg, not just for taste but they look attractive, produce a huge yield from a relatively small piece of ground, and are usually trouble-free.

I've been growing them for longer than anything else, and have tried all 3 support methods described here.

I agree with DD, wigwams are strong but the beans become very congested at the top and suffer a bit as a result.

The inverted "V" row works well but I have had them become uprooted by gales so I would recommend using guy ropes tied to stakes at each end of the row.

Built my Munty frame last year from angle iron because I wanted something strong and semi-permament; works well but make sure you get the orientation right (high end towards the South)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

strangerachael

• Weedybeanz
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2010, 15:22 »
I did a compromise between a Munty and an A frame. It withstood all the gales and the beans were very easy to pick. I've never had much luck with posting pictures on here but if you visit my blog (<-- link on the left ) you can see a picture under May 2008 'and here's mine...'
Rachael

strangerachael

• Weedybeanz
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2010, 15:23 »
I did a compromise between a Munty and an A frame. It withstood all the gales and the beans were very easy to pick. I've never had much luck with posting pictures on here but if you visit my blog (<-- link on the left ) you can see a picture under May 2008 'and here's mine...'
Sorry that should say May 2009

PennyS

• My website
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2010, 18:10 »
Hey that looks interesting!  I think I'll try it - thank you!
Penny  :D

Y.E.A.H

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2010, 13:09 »
3 different options and i'm still not sure what to go for  :blink: i'll have to go down to my plot and measure my bed to see how much space i have for my beans  :)

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2010, 18:52 »
"3 different options"

Sorry I'm late then!

I used to use A-frame, but all the beans hung down "inside", which was annoying. I now use X-frame.  Canes crossed low down. Has the benefit of a Munty frame, in that the beans hang down in clear space for picking, but a bit less Structural Engineering required to keep the whole thing upright (and, to my mind, less time spend with String - but I have only seen pictures of Munty frame).

I put canes along the row (horizontally along the tops of both side) and some cross-supports, again at the top, for rigidity.

xx
Peas/french beans in wigwams

Started by skinupthen on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post March 25, 2010, 19:19
by Yorkie
xx
Tomato Wigwams

Started by granjan on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 26, 2010, 14:01
by granjan
xx
Making cane wigwams

Started by little sweetpeas on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post March 20, 2007, 12:13
by muntjac
xx
Problem with French Beans (cobra) yellow leaves and brown curly beans

Started by djmissj on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 04, 2009, 09:57
by Salmo

Page created in 0.439 seconds with 39 queries.