Peas/french beans in wigwams

• 22 Replies

skinupthen

Peas/french beans in wigwams
« on: March 23, 2010, 09:45 »
Hi all ive been a member of the forum for some time since i got my 1/2 plot in oct last year. Im a friend of morewhiskey who is a regular here. Ive been an avid reader of the posts on here but now the planting time is upon us get ready for a multitude of questions from me.

I am planning on growing peas and french beans on cane wigwams and am wondering how many plants can grow up each cane. I was originally just going to put one plant at the foot of each cane but have been reading some info that recommended 2-3 plants per cane.

Any help appreciated

Rob

Sweet Pea 2

• Experienced Member
Re: Peas/french beans in wigwams
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2010, 10:20 »
I  did two on each cane for my French beans last year.  I used netting for peas  as you need so many plants so get anythng near a decent crop.

Jonajo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2010, 11:00 »
I did a wigwam, each of 8 canes, and sowed 4 peas around the base of each. Got a very good crop despite some bug infestation which I hope to avoid this year.

"Set down the wine and the dice and perish the thought of tomorrow"

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2010, 15:03 »
I usually plant 2/3  :)

Are you growing the very tall peas? cos the low growing ones only need some strings stretched between posts. For peas you need 2 or 3 peas for every couple of inches along the row in order to get a decent crop.

Dave f

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2010, 16:54 »
I grew climbing french beans last year and only put one plant per cane as I didn't know any better!  Got a superb crop so will probablyn do the same this year.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2010, 21:03 »
Welcome to the forums skinupthen, are you on the same lotty site as MW?  :D

I grew peas in rows, supported by string on canes (someone else will hopefully find the link to the method, promoted by member called DD.)

On wigwams I wouldn't plant more than 2 plants per cane, simply so that I can still see the beans to pick underneath all that foliage!
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

jdwmk

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2010, 21:28 »
Hi,
Yorkie, I have found the link you referred to.
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=16033.0

Basically canes with string tied between them at different levels. I grew dwarf peas last year on a small wigwam in an 18" tub, but they didn't do too well. Planted out a 5 ft row this weekend up the allotment and I was going to use some of the twigs that people have thrown on the communal waste area, but think I may go for DD's method instead.

I was also surprised that although Peas can be sown an inch or so apart in a row, the packet says to leave 30 inches between rows! That seems excessive to me. Is there anything you can grow between them?

Jeff

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2010, 21:41 »
They do generally say to leave the height of the peas between the rows.  I didn't do that last year and don't know whether they suffered significantly - though it was quite difficult to stoop down to pick the lower pods, even with about 18 - 24" between the rows !

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2010, 00:39 »
Pea thread in Growing Stickies - its a good place for info  :D

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=50902.0
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

bigben

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2010, 09:40 »
My slugs seem to love french beans so I tend to have to plant twice what I want to grow so they dont all get destroyed. So I plant 4 to a cane and expect to lose one or two. This is as well as using pellets.

Swing Swang

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2010, 09:52 »
4 - one for the raven, one for the crow, one to rot and one to grow!

Swing Swang

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2010, 10:09 »
In practice I plant 2-3 per cane, and depending on how many come up plant 1-2 about a month later so 3 grow up in total and the second plantings give a second 'flush'.

SS

Swing Swang

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2010, 10:12 »
This applies to beans only. For peas I plant 5cm apart (edit - in a double row) and don't worry how many get to each cane/peastick. My guess is that my pea canes are 23cm apart (the width of two of my boots), so that makes for about 4-5 peas per cane.

SS
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 08:48 by Swing Swang »

Trikidiki

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2010, 23:33 »
They do generally say to leave the height of the peas between the rows.  I didn't do that last year and don't know whether they suffered significantly - though it was quite difficult to stoop down to pick the lower pods, even with about 18 - 24" between the rows !

I wonder why they suggest leaving 30"!!

Tykelad

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2010, 08:32 »
Hi guys, i am new to all this and after reading all the posts, its all confusing !
Are there pictures/photo's anywhere showing wigwams etc ? I have raised beds (3m X 1.5m X 18inch) and have sown some peas in small pots in my spare bedroom. They are about 4inch's high now and will want transplanting into the raised beds. I am sure i will need to think about cains/wigwams/string between posts etc. I am very excited and terriified it will all go wrong at the same time !!

Thanx

xx
oasis peas and french beans

Started by AmandaLouise on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post April 22, 2012, 22:46
by Totty
xx
Dwarf French Beans & Onward Peas

Started by Broadhaven on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 12, 2009, 07:33
by horsepooisgood
xx
beans and wigwams

Started by Y.E.A.H on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post February 01, 2010, 15:44
by JayG
xx
Problem with French Beans (cobra) yellow leaves and brown curly beans

Started by djmissj on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 04, 2009, 09:57
by Salmo

Page created in 0.692 seconds with 38 queries.