chicken space

• 13 Replies

Grassilakes

chicken space
« on: October 27, 2009, 23:04 »
Can anyone help? I have 6 chickens at a friend of mine land 1 acre free ranging. However since a fox attack she is reluctant to let her or my chickens out without one of us being there. This usually means that the chickens only have about max 2 hours per day out of their houses during the week and a bit longer at weekends. Their houses are big ( ex stables) I am thinking of bringing mine home but I only have a small garden. I think they would prefer smaller area and able to be out most of the day than large area to roam for only a short period. What does anyone else think I should do. I want what's best for my girls.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: chicken space
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2009, 23:06 »
How about putting an electric fence around a good sized run for them.

Bigblacktaximan

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2009, 23:14 »
A 50m poultry net with energiser will cost you around £180
then you need a leisure type car battery and youre good to go,    if you dont skimp on the energiser you can always add another 50 metre net at a later date to expand the run.

hillfooter

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2009, 02:42 »
Yes the net is an ideal solution.  I had this very problem as my chx free ranged over an acre field until a fox took a couple.  Since then they've been protected by an electric net and since them around 5 years I've not lost one.  Problem you might have is enclosing the stable house.

Being at home is not really a good guarentee that a fox won't take an odd chicken.  I lost mine during the day when I and my wife were just a few tens of metres away.

Just to emphasis that you need to use a 12V lead acid LEISURE battery as car batteries quickly die if they are regularly drained flat.  Leisure batteries have specially reinforced cells which stand up to this treatment.
Regards
Truth through science.

themagicaltoad1

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2009, 13:30 »
A leisure battery??  that sounds like something you'd get from an Anne Summers shop?? :lol:

Casey76

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2009, 13:34 »
Ooh... off to the norty step!!!

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2009, 13:55 »
 ::)  If only  :lol:

Try a caravan or boat supplies shop.

lucylou

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2009, 17:49 »
i agree with you that  being outside longer but in a smaller area is better than being cooped up and then out freeranging for not very long. what sort of size space were you thinking of giving them at home?  i was going to keep mine on my allotment but changed my mind as i can keep an eye on them here and they are great to be around :) weve only got a small garden but managed to arrange some decent  space for them, they seem happy but i havent done a winter with them yet. good luck whatever you decide :)

Grassilakes

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2009, 20:58 »
Thanks everyone. Fencing really isn't a solution as it isn't my land . I just keep my chickens ther along with my friends. It's her land and she is reluctant to spend anything on it because of the expense of doing the whole acreage. So my only choice really is to either keep them there or bring them home.  Which goes back to my original question are they better off on a small piece of land at home with me (about 100 sq ft) but being out most of the daylight hours or a larger area when they do go out but this is only for a short period.  I have 6 hens. 

hillfooter

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2009, 22:00 »
Unfortunately 100sq feet with no alternative run isn't sustainable acommodation for 6 chickens.  I'd suggest 2 to 3 sq m per bird and preferably 3 if you are going to keep them on it continuously.  6 birds will quickly trash the ground depending on the soil conditions ie is it wet or clay or free draining.  You will need to use litter and constantly clean it to keep it sanitory and periodically change it.

Much though you may not like like the current arrangements on balance it's probably better since at least it's sustainable though far from ideal.

I'd still consider the net which isn't the same as a fence as it's movable and not as expensive as a permanent fence.  For less than £200 you can solve the problem for you and your friend.

Regards

Foxy

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2009, 22:35 »
Would your friend be OK with temporary poultry netting? It is entirely portable and just sticks into the ground :) This link gives you some really good tips and information on electrified fencing :)

http://www.smallholdershop.co.uk/fencing.html

Beano

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2009, 08:57 »
This might be a stupid question but - How do you not electrocute your chickens and what about pet cats?
El.

Bigblacktaximan

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2009, 09:08 »
This might be a stupid question but - How do you not electrocute your chickens and what about pet cats?
The idea is an animal brushes against said electric fence/wire, gets a mild shock enough to make them move away and discourage them from pushing the boundry further.

You're not talking about frying them on the spot  :nowink:    merely a little shock, or sensation that makes 'em take notice of a boundry and move away from it.

Chickens I would imagine are fairly insulated by their feathers, other more predatory mammals are gonna get a shock, (bit like a mild stinging?) thats gonna be a suprise, unpleasant and hopefully disconcerting enough to encourage them to move on looking elsewhere for easier pickings

Beano

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2009, 09:19 »
Thanks.
Phew that's a relief. I guessed it was a silly question!!

xx
how much space does a chicken bottom need?

Started by camelliagirl on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post June 14, 2010, 17:57
by camelliagirl
xx
Chicken Coop Internal Space

Started by D on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post March 29, 2011, 20:16
by D
xx
Run space

Started by alexroyall85 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 22, 2016, 23:17
by grinling
xx
Just how much space do they need?

Started by meriad on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post February 13, 2019, 12:54
by New shoot

Page created in 0.37 seconds with 29 queries.