Chicken Mystery

• 6 Replies

Lucera

Chicken Mystery
« on: October 24, 2009, 14:46 »
Can anyone help with a solution as to why my chicken, Dotty, has a bright red rumpwith no feathers.  Also she has lost all the feathers on her back, breast and the top of one leg.  The feathers dont seem to want to grow back, there are black stumps but they dont turn into anything.  I have treated her all summer for mites, louse and worms (tho no sign of any) but to no avail. None of my other chickens have these problems.  They are kep in an enclosed pen with plenty of room and given corn and greens to peck at.

I have thought of taking her to the vet but I cant find one who knows anything about chickens.

I am mystified as to what is going on - any clues would be greatly appreciated. 
Red skin around vent - also no feathers.jpg
bald patch on front.jpg
Red skin around vent - also no feathers.jpg
bald patch on front.jpg

Rubellite

Re: Chicken Mystery
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2009, 16:18 »
Hi. Could it be feather mite? I have read about a type of mite that burrows up the shaft of the feather, don't think it's easy to treat :(
Regarding the red bum, all of my ex-batts had red rear ends, didn't seem to do them any harm and can't see it now they've feathered up. I know others  have posted about red rears too  :ohmy:

Lucera

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2009, 16:48 »
Hi - thanks for your comments.  I did think about some type of mite or lice and I have been dusting her with various different powders all summer to see if anything would work but still hasnt had any effect.  The red patch gets bigger and smaller but lately seems to be moving up to her tail so something is going on - just cant figure out what!

Vember

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2009, 17:14 »
Are your other hens pecking at her? or Feather plucking?

Sarah :)

grumpydad

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2009, 17:42 »
what about a wound powder followed by gentian violet to hide the red, just in case she is being pecked or doing it herself

Lucera

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2009, 18:48 »
I havent noticed the other hens pecking at her - there are only 6 altogether and Dotty is the largest so I dont think she is being intimidated by the others.  I have never seen any of them pecking at her - but good point.

Wound powder and Gentian Violet - I havent heard of them but have looked them up online and both/either could be a good idea - I will get some and try it out.

Sassy

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2009, 10:45 »
I havent noticed the other hens pecking at her - there are only 6 altogether and Dotty is the largest so I dont think she is being intimidated by the others.  I have never seen any of them pecking at her - but good point.

Wound powder and Gentian Violet - I havent heard of them but have looked them up online and both/either could be a good idea - I will get some and try it out.

you should be able to get these items from any horsey shop and they aren't expensive. Good luck   :) :) :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

xx
Mystery chicken death, any ideas??

Started by timtheenchanteruk on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post October 08, 2011, 00:06
by hillfooter
xx
Egg mystery 2 for 1!

Started by thebumbles on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post December 04, 2010, 19:52
by TeaPots
xx
mystery

Started by yacks on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post January 14, 2013, 10:30
by joyfull
xx
Mystery

Started by FarmerJane on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post February 23, 2012, 17:07
by Mrs Bee

Page created in 0.539 seconds with 36 queries.