Advice on Handling the girls

• 8 Replies

francais

• Experienced Member
Advice on Handling the girls
« on: October 18, 2009, 17:10 »
Hi

I have had my two girls for a week now, but to be honest I am still very unsure if I am picking them up correctly.

I know I need to be able to pick them up to look them over and check them for weight etc, but it's prooving difficult :(

The place I had them from went for the "dive in and grab em" amid much wing flapping and loud rosey from the girls. The couple of attempts I have made have resulted in a similar reaction from the birds and I am sooo worried I am upsetting them too much so I don't perssue it.

They won't come close (like to eat out of your hand as I have read other keepers say) and if I so much as open their pen door they both make great attempts to get as far away as possible.  I have tried to spend as much time "working" near them as possible and spend time every day sitting at the door to the pen offering "tasty" tip bits but they won't even attempt to come closer.

Is there an easier way? Any advice would be really appreciated.

Toni

jackieb

Re: Advice on Handling the girls
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2009, 17:17 »
I am by no means an expert but I only have one out of six girls that doesn't like being picked up, the others have got used to it over a period of time.  I think the secret is perseverance and patience, I tended to sit with my hand close to them with some treats in it, this progressed to the odd stroke (they usually tuck their bottoms in and run off at first), we are now able to get in with them and walk amongst them, they stand still for us to check their bottoms and if needs be we can pick them up quite easily. 

Daisy and Lily were absolutely terrified of us when we got them nd would run blindly into the wire mesh if we approached them but now Lily sits on hubbies feet when he goes into the run and we had to bath Daisy the other night and she sat as good as gold and let us blow dry her as well.  I think it really is a case of just building up their trust in you and I think lots of treats helps, they seem to be very led by their stomachs.

Rosie has just recovered from bumblefoot and the treatment meant me having to remove the scab and poison from her foot and hold her while she stood with her foot in an iodine bath for 10 minutes each day and then bandage her foot with vetwrap, this we were able to do quite easily. 

Up until June 6th I have never touched a live chicken let alonge picked one up, it will come just persevere.

francais

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2009, 17:27 »
Thanks jackieb :) 

That blind panick you mention it just what they are like. Glad to know they will get use to me.

beulah59

• Experienced Member
    • Hen Keeper
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2009, 17:46 »
How old are they, francais?
two daughters, nine hens, two goldfish, three cats ...

francais

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2009, 17:54 »
They were just comming up to POL I was told. (The place I had them from said they had been on layers pellets for just a week when I got them) so guessing that puts them at about 18 / 19 weeks does it?

poultrygeist

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2009, 18:46 »
Hi francais.

As jackieb said, they will calm down and get braver.

If every time you go in, you take a small handful of corn and scatter it as you walk through, they'll soon associate you with food and coem to you expecting some.
As they get used to you, you can try bending down and throwing some to get them used to the action. When they come close to laying, they'll start to squat down as you approach. This is a good chance to pick up and practice holding.
DOn't overdo the treats though or they'll get fat and not eat their pellets but now and then it's ok.

Rob 8)

Daisycow

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2009, 18:55 »
Have you tried handling them just after they have gone to bed? Normally they're alot more placid, you should be able to lift them off their perch easily, without any flapping. They will then get used to you handling them?  :)

francais

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2009, 22:00 »
Will try both of those ideas. Thanks guys!!!!

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2009, 23:11 »
I'm not very good at explaining things, but here is an article from the Omlet site about how to handle your chickens correctly.  the way the man is holding the chicken makes it feel safe and secure and you shouldn't have any problems with it flapping around.

http://www.omlet.co.uk/guide/guide.php?view=Chickens&cat=Chicken%20Care&sub=handling

xx
Handling my girls

Started by chickenlicken on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post April 10, 2009, 18:54
by chickenlicken
xx
Advice for new girls

Started by Sideshoot on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post June 23, 2011, 13:18
by Sideshoot
xx
Extending my group of girls! Advice needed!

Started by Sopho on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post April 29, 2009, 23:14
by chickenlady
xx
HANDLING HENS

Started by joyce c on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post July 06, 2009, 16:11
by janeheritage

Page created in 0.218 seconds with 29 queries.