Advice for new girls

• 3 Replies

Sideshoot

• Experienced Member
Advice for new girls
« on: June 22, 2011, 12:03 »
Hi all,

been reading the posts with interest for a while now, finally we had a family trip to heidis happy hens and have three lovely girls in a new coop in the back garden.

We've had them since fathers day (what a fab pressie) and they are settling in very well, I do have one question though, the girls are a copper balck, a blue and a pure white one (not sure of the breed) their all 16 weeks old, the white one seems spend an awful lot of time in the hen house while the other two are content to wander around the run. If i encourage her to leave the house she has a peck around and then 5/10 mins later shes back in the house either on the perch or stitting on the floor.

Should i be concerned with the amount of time she's spending in there ?

Looking forward to your thoughts, will post pics when i have some.

bantam novice

Re: Advice for new girls
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2011, 20:17 »
Hello there, Sideshoot,
If your hen is eating, drinking, poohing and moving around OK I would be inclined to leave her to sort herself out.  I am not an expert, however, and I'm sure more experienced people will be along to advise you. Good luck and keep us posted  :)
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

daisy1990

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2011, 20:24 »
Hi

This is probably a combination of sorting out the pecking order, stress from being moved and possibly her natural temperament.  If she is eating and looks well just leave her be.  The hens will have to sort out who is boss and she may just be keeping out of the others way (especially if they have given her a peck or two!)
3 dogs, 8 chickens, 4 rabbits 2 guinea pigs, 10 quail, 2 fish and a demanding daughter who has gone to uni and left me with 29 animals to care for!!=)

Sideshoot

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2011, 13:18 »
Thankyou for your replies, she is eating and seems healthy enough. As regards the pecking order it seems its her who rules the roost. Even though shes the smallest she still instigates the squabbles and looks to be the one doing the chasing around. Maybe she's just getting used to her new surroundings.
Being new to keeping hens i hope im being over cautious etc.

question
Advice on Handling the girls

Started by francais on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post October 18, 2009, 23:11
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Extending my group of girls! Advice needed!

Started by Sopho on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post April 29, 2009, 23:14
by chickenlady
xx
Fruit and veg advice (heck - any advice!) for a newbie chook owner!

Started by cathy81walking on The Hen House

24 Replies
Last post March 02, 2010, 11:30
by cathy81walking
xx
Anything in Here The Girls Cant Eat?

Started by SurreyLass on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post August 20, 2012, 22:42
by devonbarmygardener

Page created in 0.456 seconds with 28 queries.