HANDLING HENS

• 6 Replies

joyce c

HANDLING HENS
« on: July 04, 2009, 23:59 »
Just purchased 2 gorgeous Lohman Browns.  We'd love them to be child friendly.  If we handle them regularly will this help.  They are allowing us to handle them at the moment.  Would love to know views on handling of hens.

Fifitrix

• Experienced Member
Re: HANDLING HENS
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2009, 00:12 »
hi. I dont know about your particular breed but my experience has been that my kids have picked our hens up whether they like it or not & both parties seem happy with the arrangement! :blink: :D

nzdunn

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2009, 00:26 »
 i would love to beable to pick up my hens for cuddles.   Ive had them 5wks now, there marans but just arnt that friendly, dont get me wrong there bloomin cheeky with it though, they now know i come out of the back door to them to give them their food so they often wait there, when it comes to bread or mixed corn treats they will come right up to me but wont take out of my hand,  but hey its early days and they are still young, maybe in a few more mths.  nickyx

becksi

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2009, 01:02 »
Out of all of mine, the 2 Light Sussex are the most friendly, both Indian Game run a mile, the 3 Buff Orpingtons are coming round slowly, 2 Copper Blue Marans are as cheeky as hell & the 2 Silver Grey Dorkings are about in the middle of them all with the Cou Cou Maran and the little crossbred who we call Kez.

We sit in the run with them, talk to them all the time, hand feed them and pick them up for cuddles, doing it a couple of times everyday it has'nt taken long for them to become far more friendly, we have had them 3 weeks now, but they are far from tame.

It will be a slow process but we hope to have them sitting on our laps without having to hold on to them   :lol:

Janschooks

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2009, 01:19 »
My 4 yr old daughter loves to cuddle everything. After a few days of getting our young warrens I gave them some corn as a treat and they were eating out of everyone's hands straight away. My daughter cuddled the warrens once, then insisted on cuddling them every day, they are now spooked and won't be cuddled or come near me when she's around  :( on the plus side the top hen bossy is now happy with me around again and will eat from my hand  :D all this in 2 weeks  :blink: Some of them still sleep in the nesting box so I usually stroke them at night a couple of times which they have tolerated and are now happy with me again but still cautious in case they get cuddles. They hide behind the coop if my daughter is with me. The white star had always been flighty and the light sussex not so trusting neither the ex battery Gloria but she was happy for me to stroke her at night.
They must be happy though, I got 3 eggs today from the 5, it must be the 2 young warrens and the ex bat, the light sussex and white star still have very pale combs. At least I think this is how you tell?

joyce c

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2009, 12:16 »
Thanks for all replies.  Well only 2 days later, and they're eating out of our hands.  And surprise surprise, they don't hurt when pecking.  We've handled them on several occassions each day, and all seems well.  Even had 1 egg on each day. Lovely big brown ones.  So all seems to be absolutely hunky dorey.  The lady we bought them had recommended the Lohmans, due to them being fairly docile, and she certainly was right.  Anyone looking to purchase from her, her names Margaret and lives in Tow Law, Co. Durham.  She had some beauties. Don't know if I can publish her telephone number on here, but if you contact me, maybe via IM I'll be only too pleased to let you have it.  She advertises in the local Ad Mag.  :D

janeheritage

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2009, 16:11 »
My brown hybrid is the most confident and easygoing of my hens, nothing seems to bother her. The skyline (lays blue eggs) and bovans nera on the other hand are very "touch me not" though they will all eat from my hand.

I'm raising 3 cream legbar chicks at present and they ALL fly up on to my lap for treats, so perhaps the key is to start young!!
No one can understand the truth until he drinks of coffee's frothy goodness

xx
Handling my girls

Started by chickenlicken on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post April 10, 2009, 18:54
by chickenlicken
xx
Handling Cockerels

Started by gsc on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post May 28, 2010, 08:58
by gsc
xx
handling equipment

Started by oborne27 on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post November 25, 2009, 21:39
by oborne27
xx
Handling new birds

Started by JJM on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post September 04, 2012, 12:01
by ANHBUC

Page created in 0.207 seconds with 36 queries.