Chickens or Ducks?

• 15 Replies

DeborahC

• MyPlanetOrganic
Chickens or Ducks?
« on: September 24, 2009, 11:03 »
Hello everyone.  I am new to the forum and have no birds currently.
I have been looking into raising for eggs - I tend to get very attatched :wub:, so that said, what do you recommend I look into with real seriouness for a 'beginner' - ducks or chickens?

I have seen a somewhere I can attend who will help show me the ropes - but I am really after personal opinion on what people feel is good for someone like me.

Thanks
Dx
love isnt gazing into each others eyes - it's looking forward in the same direction

too many girls

Re: Chickens or Ducks?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2009, 11:07 »
Both :D

DeborahC

• MyPlanetOrganic
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2009, 11:10 »

Hehe... that's the plan (eventually) but I thought it best to choose one or the other first :D

Dx

colliebird

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2009, 11:20 »

A kids sandpit full of water is great for the ducks

:D :D :D :D :D
Valerie

"The moral progress of a nation can be judged by the way it treats its animals" - Gandhi

RichardH

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2009, 13:10 »
I have seen a somewhere I can attend who will help show me the ropes - but I am really after personal opinion on what people feel is good for someone like me.

I see you're in Essex, so would I be right in saying you're referring to Kirsty at Hens4Homes, and one of her beginners sessions? If so, then she'd very good - very down to earth and full of advice. We got our hens from her, and she was keen to recommend "friendly" hen breeds that would not be too flighty etc.

newhen

• my hens
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2009, 14:03 »
Hi, I am new to chickens.  I just wanted to let you know how easy it had been (with the great help from here too) to set up my chicken coop and run.  The hardest part was choosing my chickens. 

http://www.omlet.co.uk/breeds/breeds.php?breed_type=Chickens

this was really useful in choosing my chicks.  I have started with 2 gingernut rangers and 1 miss pepperpot.  I love them, they are great.

Good luck in whatever you decide.
2 Gingernut Rangers
1 Miss Pepperpot
2 Light sussex (bantoms)
and
4 ex battery hens, Katie, Sam, Lucy and Camilla.

DeborahC

• MyPlanetOrganic
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2009, 18:09 »

I see you're in Essex, so would I be right in saying you're referring to Kirsty at Hens4Homes, and one of her beginners sessions? If so, then she'd very good - very down to earth and full of advice. We got our hens from her, and she was keen to recommend "friendly" hen breeds that would not be too flighty etc.

That one wasn't on my radar - but not a bad distance for me so thank you for the recommendation.  I have made a note - saved and checking out the website to it now.  Thank you.

Dx

dizzylizzie

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2009, 19:22 »
i agree :D..with maybe a turkey thrown in for good measure

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2009, 19:35 »
Well the personal answer from me has to be ducks. Obviously!

They are a constant joy to have around and are definately the comediens of the bird world. They do trample your grass and ground a bit of you let them free range but they don't dig huge craters like chickens do. I haven't had to cut my lawn this year as they have kept it mowed really well as they graze. The poo is fantastic fertiliser and my veg has never grown as well as since I had ducks (providing they don't break into the veg patch and then they scoff the lot). They have also cleared the garden of slugs and snails!
They might not lay as well as chickens but the eggs are just so much tastier in my opinion!
The other bonus is they they are much less prone to disease than chickens.

How could you not want some of these?

Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

matilda duck

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2009, 22:06 »
I'm with Kate on this DUCKS everytime!!
I had always wanted chickens but hubby said no :tongue2:  But said we could have 4 ducks :nowink:.  I love them....(we have chickens as well now!) But I prefer the DUCKS!
Less disease, less haslte, no lawn mower needed :tongue2: just a childrens sandpit and some water and away you go!!!!

I think what I'm trying to say here is Ducks :nowink:

colliebird

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2009, 09:10 »
Geese are brilliant too.  Good grazers, don't mess up the ground, poo is excellent fertiliser,
they don't massacre the vegetable plot and they are fantastic guard "dogs."
The grey goose or crosses are the best.  Not expensive to buy and lighter, unless you go for the decorative geese. :tongue2:

I put my Kwee-Kwee and Miranda "free to good home" because they were terrorising my hens, but I've found a solution as it upset me too much to let them go.
I had a couple of hundred geese, lots of ducks, decoration and "meat" duck, chickens, turkeys, goats and sheep some years ago, and when I came to the UK, it was my geese I missed most of all, but have satisfied that yearning with the 3 geese I have now.
I've got chicken eggs all year round, and from February I'll be having a goose egg (or 2) every other day until about July.
Wait till the bug really bites you, then you'll find yourself with all sorts of egg layers, grass grazers etc :D :D :D :D :D (that is of course if the rest of the family agree ::)

xxx
greylag goose.jpg

Ma Lowe

• Allotment owner from Feb 2014
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2009, 11:03 »
Are ducks ok to keep in a garden? are they noisy?? I have always wanted ducks but thought that you couldn't really keep them in the garden like you can hens. Would they need a seperate run etc and what type of food.

Sorry to have highjacked your thread it is just that seing that some people have both ducks and hens I was qurious to find out more.  :)

too many girls

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2009, 11:31 »
lots of people keep ducks in the garden, it's perfectly normal :D i was a bit worried when Sam came back from Morrisons with 5 geese as i had heard geese can kill chickens, but so far geese and ducks and chickens are all living in harmony, it's a bit different for me as i live on a farm and all my birds free range (except the garden gang, but they can get out if they want to) i expect it depends on how big your garden is.

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2009, 11:46 »
I only have ducks but I keep them in my garden which is a relatively small (about 8x10m). They are quite happy pottering about sorting out my slug problem and plotting ways to break into the veg patch. They are a bit noisy but I've not had and complaints, my neighbours actually say they like the sound.

acoupleofchickensandducks

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2009, 00:06 »
We had the same dilemma, now we have 2 chicken and 2 ducks. The chickens are more affectionate than the ducks, but the ducks are the comedians. You can spend hours watching them and not realise the time has passed. The noise is no more than the chickens, unless you get call ducks!! I've got a runner drake and female khaki  the main noise is when they get excited! let out in the morning, fed or just intermate fun on the pool!!! ;)
I must be mad agreeing to all these!!

cheesy
Ducks and chickens together

Started by Peteaggi on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 22, 2010, 22:28
by Sassy
xx
Ducks with Chickens

Started by Madrat on The Hen House

21 Replies
Last post January 04, 2014, 18:18
by Madrat
xx
Chickens and Ducks

Started by andrewandkaren on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post February 25, 2009, 20:52
by too many girls
xx
Ducks or Chickens?

Started by scotty on The Hen House

20 Replies
Last post February 17, 2009, 09:48
by matilda duck

Page created in 0.51 seconds with 31 queries.