Amateur Chicken Question

• 13 Replies

pingbull

Amateur Chicken Question
« on: September 17, 2009, 17:34 »
Hi all...very new to the site and I honestly don't know anything about what to feed chickens.

I have an interesting question/problem.  This past Easter, someone bought a baby chick in my apartment complex.  Well, it got away and now lives in the common area downstairs.  It's pretty cool in the fact that most people feed and look after it.  Its great when it chases away dogs that come near it.

I know one gentlemen gives the chicken feed regularly (i think/hope he still does), but most probably just give it bread.

I randomly give it deli meat (ham...and does that hurt it?)  My question, is what could I pick up from the local grocery store to feed it?

I'm extremely busy and really don't have time to prepare feed or go to any pet store to buy specific food...which is why i'd like to see if there's anything I can get while I do my weekly shopping.

Thank you in advance for your advice!

ps..anyone know how long the chicken will live?  he's been around since this past March.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 17:54 by pingbull »

colliebird

• Experienced Member
Re: Amateur Chicken Question
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2009, 17:44 »
Hi all...very new to the site and I honestly don't know anything about what to feed chickens (ironically, i'm allergic to chicken).

I have an interesting question/problem.  This past Easter, someone bought a baby chick in my apartment complex.  Well, it got away and now lives in the common area downstairs.  It's pretty cool in the fact that most people feed and look after it.  Its great when it chases away dogs that come near it.

I know one gentlemen gives the chicken feed regularly (i think/hope he still does), but most probably just give it bread.

I randomly give it deli meat (ham...and does that hurt it?)  My question, is what could I pick up from the local grocery store to feed it?

I'm extremely busy and really don't have time to prepare feed or go to any pet store to buy specific food...which is why i'd like to see if there's anything I can get while I do my weekly shopping.

Thank you in advance for your advice!

ps..anyone know how long the chicken will live?  he's been around since this past March.

When you say "common area," is that indoors or outdoors?  If it's indoors, the place must be getting a bit mucky/smelly, and it if's outdoors, come winter that chook will need some shelter from the cold and regular feeding.
I think the kindest thing to do would be if someone caught it and gave it to someone who keeps chickens  ;)
« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 18:18 by colliebird »
Valerie

"The moral progress of a nation can be judged by the way it treats its animals" - Gandhi

Hawthorn Harry

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2009, 17:45 »
You've really set the cat amongst the pigeons with this question.  Be prepared!!!  The chicken needs a proper home and proper feed!!!  A trip to a shop once a month to get the proper food should not be too much to ask.  What about water and fresh air?  Who picks up the poop??

Be ready for an onslaught of questions from the worried members.  Be prepared for photo requests too!!!!

pingbull

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2009, 17:52 »
The common area is outside.  I live in Florida, so it hasn't had to deal with any cold weather, yet. 

The maintenance staff has tried to catch it a couple of times to no avail.

There were two chickens originally, but they caught one early on and took it to a farm...they were never able to get this one.

I know the living conditions are FAR from optimal, or even good, but the residents in the area are all it has.

Is there no food I can feed it that's not feed?

Thanks again!

Hawthorn Harry

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2009, 17:57 »
You could try wholegrains, peas, corn etc etc + some greens and fruit.  Water is a must.  Does the chicken have access to an outdoor space?

colliebird

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2009, 17:57 »
The common area is outside.  I live in Florida, so it hasn't had to deal with any cold weather, yet. 

There were two chickens originally, but they caught one early on and took it to a farm...they were never able to get this one.

I know the living conditions are FAR from optimal, or even good, but the residents in the area are all it has.

Thanks again!

Local animal protection societies should have humane traps that food are put into, and when the hen goes in for the food, the trap door closes, and voila! the hen is caught.
Not really rocket science  :D

poultrygeist

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2009, 17:59 »
Don't know the law over there, but I would hope here that it would be seen as entierly unsuitable and the authorities (rspca) would collect it.

If you want to feed it properly, poultry feed is the right thing to give it, along with fresh water every day, as already mentioned.

Anythign else is going to be a hit or miss compromise and may end up causing the chicken to suffer.
It really depends if it's seen as an amusement or as an animal that has specific needs.

Rob

pingbull

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2009, 17:59 »

Thanks again!

Local animal protection societies should have humane traps that food are put into, and when the hen goes in for the food, the trap door closes, and voila! the hen is caught.
Not really rocket science  :D

Oh I agree...but remember, these are maintenance guys from an apartment complex.  They have that job for a reason.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2009, 18:02 »
colliebird - could you please remove the moving .gif from your sig line.

As per the site policies:

"Signatures

Signatures may contain an image file but not animated (moving) pictures as these become very distracting it should not be too large either. Obviously, these may not contain objectionable content.  If in doubt please contact an administrator."

Thanks a lot.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

colliebird

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2009, 18:21 »
colliebird - could you please remove the moving .gif from your sig line.

As per the site policies:

"Signatures

Signatures may contain an image file but not animated (moving) pictures as these become very distracting it should not be too large either. Obviously, these may not contain objectionable content.  If in doubt please contact an administrator."

Thanks a lot.

Ooops! :unsure: Sorry.  I've removed the offending gif.  To be honest, I didn't know it was animated when I posted until I saw it.
A thousand pardons :( :( :(

x x x

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2009, 19:29 »
S'alright!

lucylou

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2009, 19:58 »
hi there!  i think its nice of you to care about the welfare of the hen :) have you tried giving her a bit of cooked rice? they also love cooked pasta, especially spaghetti! - lettuce leaves too if she needs some greenery. Is she able to scratch about and sunbath in the common area? 

too many girls

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2009, 20:28 »
if you pay for a round trip for me to Florida, i'll come and catch her for you :D

Hawthorn Harry

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2009, 10:41 »
Not until Hope gets better!!!  Don't worry though, I'll go in your place
 :D

xx
Chicken poo question

Started by Soozie on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post April 28, 2011, 23:56
by Lindeggs
question
Chicken fertility question

Started by bedifferent on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post January 31, 2009, 04:33
by nnbreeder
xx
A question about the sussex chicken

Started by newhen on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post October 01, 2009, 10:01
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Chicken grit question

Started by davepitch on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post October 17, 2008, 21:05
by muntjac

Page created in 0.39 seconds with 36 queries.