My weldmesh came today - not sure what to cut it with?

• 14 Replies

bashful_badger

• Experienced Member
My weldmesh came today - not sure what to cut it with?
« on: September 16, 2009, 19:27 »
My weldmesh came and it looks a lot thicker than I was anticipating, it is 16gauge and I'm not sure the cutters I have bought will be good enough although they did say on them upto 16guage.

Did everyone else just use cutters?

Also got long gloves and a staple gun thing.

Going to make panels and screw them altogether.  Wood I am thinking of getting is 1x1.5 inches so will be 2x1.5 inches when screwed together, that should be ok shouldn't it?  Going to have 2 panels wide (so 6foot) by 5 panels long (so 15ft) and then attached to garage one side.

Also this probably sounds dumb but I can't find wood shiplap or tongue and groove that is treated anywhere unless it's the 12mm stuff and I was told that that's just too flimsy?  Was going to roof 4 foot of my run to cover the house and to keep food dry etc.

Also would you recommend treating the wood even though it's tanalised or not?  I wasn't sure and then I didn't know what you could use that'd be safe for the animals.

So many questions!......  ::)

poultrygeist

Re: My weldmesh came today - not sure what to cut it with?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2009, 20:13 »
My opinion (which is humble).

I'd get either some tin snips or some quality side cutters. I only had 19g so my old and blunt cutters got through it.

Panels is good. As long as it's fairly rigid once fixed in place, no worries. It doesn't carry any load and he mesh will stiffen it. As long as you have some uprights to fix to or some cross members across the top to stop it waving in the wind.

FOr roofing, get some corrugated, clear plastic roofing sheets. ABout £5 each from major DIY stores. Again, you'll need some timber across the top to fix to because they can be quite flimsy.

Treating the wood will help it last. Use water based shed or fence treatment. I use wickes stuff with wax enrichment.

Good luck :)

Rob 8)

8doubles

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2009, 20:22 »
An old pair of heavy garden shears may cut the mesh, worth a try if you have some. As rob said you need corner bracing to hold the panels square and i use black paint on the frames and mesh as it makes it less visible.

RichardH

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2009, 20:23 »
I used these for cutting my 16ga weldmesh - good hand excercise!

Watch out for it sproinging back - it's vicious stuff!

raeburg

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2009, 22:19 »
If you put the plastic sheeting on the roof attach it to diagonally cut wood (firrings I think) so that the water drains off it. 

karlooben

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2009, 06:22 »
hi there another very good tip if you are using staples { it will safe your fingers } use a pair of pilers to hold the staple in place then hit in with the hammer if you miss you'll hit the pilers not your fingers holding those staples is a pain at the best of times . i use cupanol { cant spel it at this time in the morning } focus do really good deals on it where you buy one get 1 free .
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

the ancient one

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2009, 07:19 »
I used these for cutting my 16ga weldmesh - good hand excercise!

Watch out for it springing back - it's vicious stuff!
I've just completed my run, 13mm square 16g, floor, sides and roof. The wire gets more vicious as the roll gets smaller! I used the aviation snips, hand staples and hammer but found it so much easier and faster when I got the air stapler and compressor going, bang, bang, in they went, then reinforced with some hand driven galvanised staples. If you're going to make them up as frames, support the middle of the mesh as it sags and distorts slightly. I used treated batten for the frames, screwed together. I carried the floor mesh a couple of inches up the sides and am now joining the two mesh surfaces using hog ring pliers which I couldn't buy locally but plenty on the internet.
I think I will paint the mesh with some black paint, as it's hard to see through the grey/blue of the galvanised mesh.
Old age and cunning will triumph over youth and enthusiasm every time

dizzylizzie

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2009, 07:56 »
we used this stuff for our girls.....oww its evil, and as the ancient one said, its get worse the smaller the roll.we used good strong wire cutters...took an age though. we have got more mesh cos we are building more runs, and im dreading cutting it. its EVIL :mad:

lightyears

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2009, 09:38 »
protect your arms and hands if possible, i looked like a character from a horror film when it pinged back on me.

bashful_badger

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2009, 09:47 »
We were going to do 3ftx6ft panels with a bar across the middle and 8 braces in each corner.

Not looking forward to cutting it!  Think I'll try the standing on it idea someone else mentioned.  We have 1inch holes and it's 3 foot wide so only ought to have to cut the top and bottom and not the sides each time.  At least in theory!

OH won't let me have plastic roof, he says it looks cheap, fussy so and so!! Given that it's going next to our garage which is made of breeze blocks and no render I think it's quite funny!!!  Tatty old garage which now needs a new roof and he's complaining about a bit of plastic chicken run roof  :D

I did find a place that does coloured onduline the other day so maybe he'll accept that instead, they had roof red colour and green I think instead of just black.

poultrygeist

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2009, 09:57 »
The prob with Onduline on a run is lack of light, especially in winter. I find the plastic ideal, but you'll need to do what works for you :)

Rob 8)

8doubles

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2009, 10:05 »
Weldmesh is a joy to cut compared with onduline , best to cut this when it`s cold as if it`s been in the sun all day it clogs the saw horribly.

RichardH

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2009, 10:10 »
I found a good way to tame the weldmesh was with a spare plank of hardwood decking - nice and heavy, plus a couple of lengths of 2x4 or similar. One holding down the "free" end, then push back the roll while walking on it to keep it in position, then drop a bit of 2x4 into the curl of the roll, so it stops it from rolling back. I then put a third length under the "flat" area to lift it off the ground a bit to give better access to cutting.

Painting the mesh is a great idea - think I'll try it with an old mini paint roller - should be less splatter than with a brush, as I imagine that would flick paint everywhere as you brush on.

As for cuttin onduline - I agree - a cool day is best, and even then you need to keep going once you start - once the saw blade gets warm the cloigging starts, and if you stop the tarry goop solidifies. I ran a soldering gas burner over a few inches of the blade, then once the goop was soft, pulled it off with a cardboard "sandwich".

the ancient one

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2009, 21:06 »
This is my run and coop, the panels are 900mm x 2m using treated timber battens. The mesh from Hills of Devon is 13mm square 16g. Not too many cuts and scrapes when cutting it, or stapling, a lot more when erecting the frames. The base mesh comes up the sides by a few inches as does the roof, basically a mesh box and hopefully rodent resistant. Still need to add some timber supports, transparent roof and some reinforcing wires.
coop1avg.jpg

3ps

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2009, 10:46 »
I reduced the amount of cutting needed by having my "panels" slightly narrower than the width of the mesh roll.

I used a jigsaw with a metal cutting blade to cut mine, went through it like butter.

But you have to make sure it's taught or it will vibrate too much.

question
Weldmesh

Started by AL Hathaway on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post August 23, 2011, 22:26
by GrannieAnnie
wink
Weldmesh

Started by 5coles on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post March 17, 2010, 10:26
by joyfull
xx
Weldmesh Questions.

Started by Lardman on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post August 18, 2008, 21:18
by karlooben
xx
Weldmesh Arrived

Started by Slatz on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post March 28, 2008, 13:59
by compostqueen

Page created in 0.252 seconds with 36 queries.