Chicken fertility question

• 3 Replies

bedifferent

• Experienced Member
Chicken fertility question
« on: January 30, 2009, 19:14 »
Hi everyone, I have a small collection of chooks, a mixture of brown hens, light sussex and Cochins. One of the aforementioned Cochins is developing into a fine looking cockerel. I am hoping that he does not prove to be too loud, if not then i will keep him. If he were to mate with the other hens - would eggs that they lay be fertile and would a cross between these breeds of chooks be ok? I thought it might be interesting to see what these mixtures produce. Am i missing any fundementals of chicken design?

Any advice would be appreciated.
If you do things well, do them better. Be daring, be first, be different, be just.

poultrygeist

Re: Chicken fertility question
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2009, 20:06 »
My limited understanding is a chicken is a chicken is a chicken. :wub:

Be interesting to see the answers abotu the crosses though. It's GM the natural way. ;)

Rob 8)

Foxy

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 20:58 »
If I were you I wouldn't -only because you may get a quite a few cockerels, and it can e difficult enough to sell/FTGH pure breds, very hard or even impossible to rehome crosses Im afraid. I know it is tempting -specially when you get a broody! ???
Why not try some hatching eggs? or find a couple of nice cochin hens for your cockerel?  :tongue2:

nnbreeder

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2009, 04:33 »
Even the pure breeds are crosses. DNA testing of most breeds show that both the Grey Jungle Fowl and the Red Jungle Fowl are the parent stock of all breeds.

As far as being fertile yes they should be. Many Cochin breeders trim the feathers around the vent of both sexes for better fertility. It shouldn't really be too hard to get rid of a heavy breed like a Cochin if you can find someone that wants a good table bird.

xx
egg fertility question

Started by Catsmuvva on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post June 04, 2011, 09:16
by Catsmuvva
xx
Fertility

Started by jonny1982 on The Hen House

27 Replies
Last post January 26, 2008, 23:25
by babe
xx
Egg fertility

Started by Hayley'sHens on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post September 23, 2010, 10:04
by Hayley'sHens
xx
egg fertility

Started by massa on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post April 17, 2012, 09:56
by joyfull

Page created in 0.689 seconds with 36 queries.