Christmas Puds!

• 35 Replies

Riala

Christmas Puds!
« on: August 30, 2009, 12:15 »
I wondered if you could help me with some Christmas Pud queries?

I want to start making mine soon, and I have some little black pots to put them in that I will then decorate with a sticker on top of a Pudding, then wrap them in red cellophane to go in my little Christmas Hampers I am making for everyone.

I grabbed the recipe from this site, but there are no instructions other than... throw it all together basically.

I have looked through threads, and the one that interested me was the slow cooker version... now, my question is...

Do I need to cook/steam the ingredients a large glass bowl first, then transfer to my black pots when it's done after 3hrs, or can I cook/steam in the black pots?

« Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 22:03 by Ice »

SMD66

• sunrise over the canal
Re: Christmas Pud's!
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2009, 14:52 »
I have steamed smaller puds in the pots before, for yrs now I have used Delias traditional recipe, you might be able to find it on-line. 
I put all ingredients together with the booze then leave overnight for raisins etc to soak it all up.  I steam the following day.
Music self played is pleasure self made
Samantha :)

Poolfield2

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2009, 18:15 »
I soak fruit in the beer over night and then mix everything together the next day and steam in plastic pots that are meant for steaming. What are your pots made of?

Riala

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2009, 18:28 »
No idea, the only thing written on the bottom is 100% Recycled, and the Recycled symbol.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2009, 19:27 »
Personally i wouldn't risk spoiling your puds if the pots melt while you're cooking them :ohmy:
If you haven't got a glass bowl already, you can get plastic pudding basins cheaply, so you can cook the pud in one of those first before wrapping it :)

Riala

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2009, 20:14 »
Thanks Mumofstig, I will see if I can find any.

nothinghasdiedyet

• Experienced Member
    • My Blog
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2009, 17:28 »
Personally i wouldn't risk spoiling your puds if the pots melt while you're cooking them :ohmy:
If you haven't got a glass bowl already, you can get plastic pudding basins cheaply, so you can cook the pud in one of those first before wrapping it :)

I have been out this week to buy some new pudding pots and find that hardware stores are usually the best I bought mine for about £2 for a 2 pint pot and a little less for smaller sizes.
I also use a steamer when cooking the puds, as to "Nuke" them in a microwave I find really ruins the flavour a couple of hours in the steamer for 1st cook and then 1/2 to 3/4hr for the "before eating" cook.

I have made my first Christmas cake today how organised is that LoL

Riala

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2009, 18:50 »
I do not own a microwave so no risk of that!

I have a steamer though, although I am still to try a Christmas Pud, very nervous about ruining it, it is a lot of ingredients, most of which I can not afford, so I want to make sure i do it right. 

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2009, 19:33 »
Don't know about prices this year, but last year i got a pack of 3 pudding basins plus lids in a pound shop :)

Brambles

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2009, 19:43 »
Christmas PUDS ??? ??? ???   Well...  I guess it IS September :nowink:   Seriously guys, it is a tad early even for an organized household :unsure:   I reckon that mid - end October is the best time for flavour and maturity....  I even made mine once on Christmas Eve... they actually were a very good flavour and great texture :D

tode

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2009, 19:56 »
Just a little 'aside':  food should never be stored in plastics that are not "food grade".

Recycled plastics, in particular, should never be used (heavy metals, pesticide residues etc). And never for cooking, when chemical release is accelerated.

janet12000

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2009, 18:15 »
We use the foil containers with the paper lids (like takeaway containers but pudding shaped). My Mum buys them from Lakeland because she's posh, but I'm sure you can get them cheaper elsewhere.
Soak all the fruit in a load of booze overnight before mixing it all up. They are then cooked in the oven on a really low heat for about 5 or 6 hours,stored, and then they can be steamed on Christmas day.
We use delia's recipe and add extra stuff....ie more booze!
My lovely Nan and I used to always make the Christmas puds on bonfire night as I hated fireworks as a child so always used to go to Nans while the rest of the family went out to a fireworks show.  :D

Riala

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2009, 19:01 »
That's a fantastic idea!

janet12000

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2009, 19:16 »
If you can hang fire on making the puds Riala, I can get the way of doing them from my Mum tomorrow. They always turn out well. x

Riala

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2009, 19:25 »
I am in no rush, haven't got any ingreds yet, still undecided whether to do cake or pudding!

xx
Christmas Puds

Started by Poolfield2 on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

64 Replies
Last post December 18, 2008, 20:28
by Kate and her Ducks
xx
Christmas Pie recipe anyone?

Started by Plottered on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

6 Replies
Last post December 12, 2011, 11:19
by Plottered
xx
Our Christmas dinner

Started by noshed on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

3 Replies
Last post December 19, 2009, 16:27
by Poolfield2
xx
Christmas pudding

Started by juliec on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

4 Replies
Last post December 09, 2010, 17:14
by Kleftiwallah

Page created in 0.124 seconds with 29 queries.