What are you NOT growing next year?

• 139 Replies

Arnfields

• Experienced Member
Re: What are you NOT growing next year?
« Reply #135 on: October 15, 2009, 17:08 »
Hmm, bit of a hit and miss year, only started March ish and was away for 3 weeks end July so everything went to seed, except for the sprouts which a friend of ours referred to as the caterpillar farm!

Little gem, 3 feet high - not again  ???
Lambs lettuce - chooks loved them, ate three enourmous ones in 48 hours, a yes if only for the girls
round lettuce - desimated by slugs in the patch but still growing very nicely in tubs, will try the tubs again next year  :)
carrots - pathetic despite light soil/compost and in tubs, largest was about 2 inch long - bunny likes them tho...
runner beans - hmmm, too many for us this year but the chooks have done well out of it
khol rabi - undecided, might try them again depending on space
beetroot - yum! planting more
radish - first batch lovely - second batch bolted in seconds
outdoor cucumber - has potential, try again next yr
toms - awesome and still going - new tunnel next year for more space
chillis - just ripening now but a good crop - a yes for next year tho less plants as only my OH likes them
broad beans -  :tongue2: never again
thistles - hmmm, trying not to grow these anymore  ::)
spuds - mixed bag there, defo growing again but needs more thought and prep
kiwi plant - darn, died whilst we were away as in a pot and it dried out - must try again
celeriac, weirdest thing, lifted these and they are only an inch deep - one more try then they are a gonna - chooks and bunny don't even like them!
onions - sets and seed - less white but loads of red and shallots next year, and garlic of course!
Peas - utterly useless this year but am determined to get a half decent crop
Butternut squash - learnt a lot this year, will try again but slightly more controlled next time, plant is about 10ft x 10ft with only a handful of fruit, forgot to take off the flowers and ends of the vines  :wub:

Phew - must plan for next year rather than this years random seed spreading as and when it occured to me, still waiting on the cauli & PSB!
1 lovely hubby, 3 dogs, a bunny and 7 ex batts and a shiny new lottie!  (so far)

M0rph3u5

« Reply #136 on: October 15, 2009, 21:41 »
cauliflower

all came up the size of a button hole and a dirty yellow

easier to buy em from Asda

davethespread

« Reply #137 on: October 15, 2009, 21:57 »
not so many marrows,i put three bushes in this year coz they looked a bit iffy,blimey they went crazy i cound'nt give them away nobody eats them these days.i might put one bush in.but apart from that i will plant everything i did this year. i am determined though not to have scab on my potatoes and not loose my leeks to leek moth. :blink:
i dont suffer with insanity..........i enjoy every minute of it.

purplebean

« Reply #138 on: October 16, 2009, 11:19 »
I never grown runer beans, yuck. Now climbing french beans I will grow several varieties. But next year I am above all going to be more organised and not go mad trying to grow everything, I'm sticking to things we eat a lot of and forgetting the rest. That means no maincrop spuds and just a few earlies as we just don't eat spuds that often and I always seem to forget this at seed potato time   :tongue2:

Trillium

« Reply #139 on: October 16, 2009, 16:55 »
Not as many tom plants. I was swamped this year when they finally ripened. Now that my garden soil has improved immensely I don't need to make up yield with plant quantity. I've also decided which varieties I like best and will stick with them rather than keep experimenting with new ones.

Yellow beans - even though I grew a French heritage variety, they're not nearly as nice as my green Filet beans.

Less red beets and more gold beets. Yumm.

And I'll never grow cosmos or borage in the veg garden again. All that chicken muck made the dratted things grow like trees. The cosmos had 2" thick stalks. Bees loved them but I wasn't impressed having to stake them off the green pepper plants, onions, celery and toms.  >:(

xx
growing carrots in the same place year after year???

Started by daz on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 22, 2008, 10:22
by mtoyne
xx
First year of growing

Started by washsaint on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post August 01, 2007, 20:53
by richyrich7
xx
Next year I will definitely not be growing.....

Started by sunshineband on Grow Your Own

74 Replies
Last post December 22, 2012, 21:31
by thestens
question
Growing next year??

Started by Goldfinger on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post September 27, 2010, 23:18
by zazen999

Page created in 0.654 seconds with 36 queries.