A few questions...

• 41 Replies

newChickenMummy

• Experienced Member
Re: A few questions...
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2009, 12:30 »
Thanks everyone for your messages  ::) 

Well we've continued to fill the feeder each day but they still seem off, very quiet, Mrs B just stands there staring or they all just sit under the coop huddled together they used to be so full of beans and so chatty, they would greet us when we came home but maybe they were just starving and trying to get our attention lol! Also they have had very runny poos in the day but seems to be solidish at night, there doesn't seem to be any worms or anything in it. They're eating (luckily haven't eaten all the pellets we put down this time) and drinking ok. Should I be concerned or am I just fussing unnecessarily?  :nowink:

I have added another water bowl as the drinker we have doesn't seem to let out as much water as it used to, I'm going to buy another one on Saturday when we go shopping for chicken supplies  :tongue2:

There are only 3 of them, do you think they really need another feeder? They never seem to fight over the pellets.

I've now raked out most of the straw and will remove it all completely on Saturday when I do their weekly clean, was going to get wood chippings for the run floor, b&q do some Natural Hardwood or Softwood Chips, would these be ok or do I need to go to a timber merchant? Also which are better the soft or hard?

Thanks x

iwantanallotment

« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2009, 12:38 »
they used to be so full of beans and so chatty, they would greet us when we came home but maybe they were just starving and trying to get our attention lol!

That did cross my mind NCM, but didn't like to say  :D :D

If they aren't fighting & no-one is pushed out then one feeder is enough, provided it's not allowed to become empty.
I also scatter pellets around different areas of their enclosure for them to find while foraging about, so that all the food isn't in one area.

How's your weather been? Mine huddle too if it's chilly or windy/wet.

I wouldn't worry  ;)

Someone will advise re the chippings soon, I have no idea.

All the best & enjoy your chicken shop - isn't it fun?  :)
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 12:48 by iwantanallotment »

AmandaH

• Experienced Member
« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2009, 12:44 »
Perhaps they're just chilling out, NCM?  Try not to worry, I'm no chook expert but, if they're eating and drinking then there can't be too much wrong with them?  

With regard to the floor of the run, do read through the thread from the other day when I bothered everyone about this very subject (hillfooter posted the link earlier in this thread).  The general consensus seemed to be hardwood chips with softwood chips on top, although your bog standard bark chips are just about acceptable as long as you are scrupulous about keeping it clean and not letting it become soggy.  Everyone has a different way of doing things and there are other alternatives but think that about sums it up :tongue2:

AmandaH

• Experienced Member
« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2009, 12:45 »
Sorry, got a bit over-enthusiastic with the italics there  :lol:

newChickenMummy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2009, 13:16 »
Can I just ask one more question  :blink: is there any chance of them getting fat or harming themselves from eating too many pellets? Ok thats it I'll stop worrying now! :tongue2:

Weather has been very warm so maybe they are just hot and tired and fat lol!

Hard chips with soft on top sounds good, I'll get some at the weekend. Can't wait to go and get all my supplies :D what an exciting life i lead!

Just need them to start laying some eggies now!  :tongue2:

Thanks all xxx

AmandaH

• Experienced Member
« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2009, 13:35 »
My understanding is that they should be given access to as much mash/crumbs/pellets as they want but treats should be limited.  

I've been told - and this may be just an old wives tale, I don't know - that chickens enjoy foraging and scratching about for their food and so food that is just sitting there, silently begging to be eaten, isn't half as much fun and so isn't as appealing.  Therefore, chooks will eat their readily available food to satisfy an immediate hunger but will then go and off and forage for other bits and bobs.

This sounds plausible but obviously no-one has told this to mine, who seem to spend their entire lives with their heads in the feeder, with short breaks only to come out and peck my feet, have a drink or poo on my lawn!  :D

iwantanallotment

« Reply #36 on: August 25, 2009, 13:42 »
I think that's true, Amanda.

Mine dash out straight to the feeder each morning - but after a few beakfuls always head off to forage for the scattered pellets and whatever else turns up - and they do seem to enjoy these pellets more cos they "found" them themselves  :D

No NCM, your girls won't get fat and damaged  ;)
That's what hens do all day, eat and sleep! When they're full, they'll sleep. Until they're hungry again, and then they'll eat  :D

AmandaH

• Experienced Member
« Reply #37 on: August 25, 2009, 13:47 »
What a life, hey?  I want to come back as a chicken.  But one that belongs to one of you lot on this forum, please, not some poor battery chook.  

iwantanallotment

« Reply #38 on: August 25, 2009, 13:54 »
I'll have you if you're gonna be a good layer, Amanda?   :D

oddpaws

• Experienced Member
« Reply #39 on: August 25, 2009, 14:05 »
Just to add...my birds became very down in the mouth lately...listless and couldnt really be bothered, it all came down to heat. It had been very hot and they just couldnt be bothered as soon as it cooled down they were back to normal
a mum is for life..not just for cleaning! ;@)

bexy

« Reply #40 on: August 25, 2009, 14:33 »
Have you tried letting them out of the run to have a rumage around the plants.Mine love it eating all the bugs,slugs and snails etc.
I let them out for an hour or 2 every morning although they had 3 hours this morning.
To get them back in i give them a treat,sweetcorn is a winner,they go racing in the run before i get there once they see the dish lol :lol:

I used to give them tinned sweetcorn drained of course but now i buy a bag of frozen kernals from the blue and white self branded supermarket (cotess ;) )and give them a handfull of that every few days with other treats on other days...they love this just the same.

By letting them roam it gives them an interest and a good diet of full protein bugs :D

AmandaH

• Experienced Member
« Reply #41 on: August 25, 2009, 14:47 »
I'll give it a whirl iwantanallotment but I'm not much cop on the baby front, having only managed one child in 42 years (having said that, one is quite enough, thank you) so I can't make any promises on the egg production front  :D

xx
questions questions any help would be great thanxs

Started by smallholder2010 on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post June 02, 2010, 19:43
by jhub
xx
Even more poo questions.

Started by CHICKEN LICKEN on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post September 18, 2007, 21:32
by Aunt Sally
xx
diy hen run questions.

Started by slurp on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post January 06, 2009, 13:36
by slurp
xx
Two odd questions........................

Started by cammi on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post January 22, 2011, 19:58
by Pertelotte

Page created in 0.287 seconds with 28 queries.