Two odd questions........................

• 7 Replies

cammi

• Experienced Member
Two odd questions........................
« on: January 22, 2011, 10:08 »
 I was watching my girls the other afternoon ( my DH laughs at me as i now spend about 2 hours each day just watching chickens)  and wondered if in the high summer they need a big dish of water to stand in and cool down, or if they like garden sprinklers?

the other one is how long does it take for what the chicken is being given to eat to turn in a egg?  Just wondering so you can tell if what you are feeding them makes a difference to the taste, colour etc of the egg

Many thanks
11 Chickens (Rhode Rock, Bluebell, Copper Black, Columbine, Coucou, Mystery Hen, Clarance Court, Araucana, brown hen ) , 3 Cats (1 mog, 1 bengal, 1 Bengal x),  2 Little Boys, 1 dog (Golden Retriever) and 1 Husband

Jeanette

Re: Two odd questions........................
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2011, 12:13 »
In the hot weather (if we get any) I put plastic milk bottles half full with water in the freezer and when they are frozen the chickens have them and they love to play with and lie next to them to cool down.

rachelr

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2011, 12:41 »
Over the winter the deliveries to my local chook food place were interrupted and they only had the next expensive one for sale(dodsons). Within 24 hours the eggs my chooks produced were even better than they were before and some of my hens who only laid once a week were laying every other day.

I will not go back to the cheaper brand any more.

hillfooter

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2011, 12:49 »
A nice airy shady spot is usually all they need.  In very hot weather I ofter sprinkle water on the roofs of their houses with a hose to cool them down.  Also you can sprinkle the ground of their run with the hose on the fine spray (a power hose is good for cooling the air around their run which they do seem to appreciate.

Never used the cold water bottle idea which sounds novel though a little bizzare.
HF
Truth through science.

cammi

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2011, 18:51 »
thanks folks i knew you would know the answers lol

fingers crossed now we get some hot weather................it's hard to imagine at the moment as i can hear the wind howling down the chimney!

Thats interesting about the different feed.  Mine dont seem keen on the stuff the breeder gave me (which i am presuming is just cheap rubbish as its in a plain white bag with on markings at all and she charged me £7.50) so i have been thinking to trying some better food and Dodsons is one i have seen available around here.  Out of interest how much did you pay?

cammi

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2011, 18:54 »
oh has anyone tried freezing some treats in water in an old ice cream top, then popping it out like a big ice cube for them??   ITs something we used to do with the dog and her dry food in the hot weather and wondered if chickens would go for it too

rachelr

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2011, 19:42 »
I paid 7.99 for a 25kg bag from a pet food store near boston. Pets at home charge 10.99!!!!!!!!!!!

Pertelotte

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2011, 19:58 »
For the water I freeze margarine tubs overnight and leave them out during the day. As they melt they provide a steady supply of cold water for the girls to drink. Before I had chickens I used to do it for the cat and the rabbit, and it seemed to work.

If you empty a chunk of frozen water into a larger bowl with water already in then they have cold water from the start and don't have to peck at the ice. It works best in a drinker as the ice floats and the coldest water lies at the bottom.

Re pellets, I started with Dodsons and now use Marriages which come in at just under a tenner/25Kg. Pricey, but worth it. The girls prefer them too, although nothing seems to beat a fresh, juicy worm dragged out of the ground.

xx
questions questions any help would be great thanxs

Started by smallholder2010 on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post June 02, 2010, 19:43
by jhub
xx
Sad Day Questions

Started by Fisherman on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post May 31, 2010, 18:56
by Silkysmooth
xx
Even more poo questions.

Started by CHICKEN LICKEN on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post September 18, 2007, 21:32
by Aunt Sally
xx
diy hen run questions.

Started by slurp on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post January 06, 2009, 13:36
by slurp

Page created in 0.202 seconds with 36 queries.