A few questions...

• 41 Replies

newChickenMummy

• Experienced Member
A few questions...
« on: August 22, 2009, 18:36 »
Hi everyone, we've had our girls for 3 weeks now and love them to bits, no eggs yet though  :tongue2:  I just have a few questions to ask.

I give them an ounce each of pellets in the morning and whatever scraps we have each day, plus any caterpillars we can find on our broccolli  :happy: is this enough each day? I'm worried we aren't giving them enough to eat :unsure:

Also, what is the best thing to put on the bottom of their run? They've already scratched up all the grass and so I put some straw down today but one of them keeps getting it stuck on her beak and earlier she was eating some of it  :ohmy: she is a little dumb bless her the others seem fine with it lol

Other thing I was going to ask was where everyone gets their poultry supplies i.e. shavings, poultry shield, pellets etc. I've looked on a few websites but the postage seems rather a lot. Does anyone know of anywhere reasonable or anywhere I can go to in the Ipswich, Suffolk area?

Thanks
Liz  :tongue2:

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
Re: A few questions...
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2009, 18:46 »
Hello and welcome!!!  :D i would give them free access to layers pellets all day! they then take as much as they require and you just top up the feeder when required! cant help with feed/bedding supplier in you area though! would love to see piccies of your girls!  :D

Debbie
thinks her guardian angel`s gone on strike !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

newChickenMummy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2009, 19:02 »
Thanks for your reply, I did think of doing that but they eat everything in sight :lol: am just worried they'll eat the lot or do you think that's only because they aren't getting enough?

Will post some pics of them later (not very clear ones as they always seem to look away lol), hubby built a new run for them last week so will post pics of that too!  :tongue2:

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2009, 19:11 »
They wont eat the lot! but will eat as much as they need! the pellets have everything they need to lay strong healthy eggs! if you limit them, you could end up with problems from thin shells to no eggs at all! the layers are a balanced feed! i get through a 20 kg bag a month between 10 hens!
Debbie

goodegg

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2009, 19:20 »
chickens love to scratch about in the soil and have a dust bath thats why they are doing the digging in your run do they free range or are they just in the run they probably need more food thats why they eat everything in sight

newChickenMummy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2009, 19:34 »
Ok thanks I'll try it tomorrow and see what happens  ::). Can I still give them greens and scraps though? I feel bad I haven't been giving them enough, do you think they'll be ok? :unsure:

They are only in the run, we have a temporary run which I put them in sometimes usually when i'm cleaning them out but thats about it. I have left some dirt uncovered in their run so they can have dustbaths, do you think I should take the straw out? I was just trying to keep it clean as its already very muddy lol!

Trying to post some pics on here, anyone know how to do it, just keeps saying I've exceeded the size  :ohmy:

Vember

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2009, 19:47 »
Hi NCMummy

Welcome to the Hen House :D

I'd definitely leave food down all day, they wont eat for the sake of it promise :D Make sure they have access to grit and oyster shell too as grit helps grind up the food and oyster shell helps with egg shell :)
Still give them the greens but don't over do treats like pasta or bread :)

What size is the run they are in?

Photo's I find the best way is via photobucket set up an account it's free then copy and paste the img code into the reply box :D

Sarah :)

newChickenMummy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2009, 19:48 »
Here are some pics of my lovelies and their new run, the light one is honey, the two browns are Mrs Butterfly and Fluffy, Honey's about 3 weeks younger than them  :D

newChickenMummy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2009, 19:49 »
Hmmm that didn't work at all, i'll try photobucket thanks!

newChickenMummy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2009, 20:01 »
All that did was post the links, can anyone tell me how to post the actual pics??

newChickenMummy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2009, 20:07 »

Think It's sorted now newchickenMummy  ~ Vember  :D
« Last Edit: August 22, 2009, 21:33 by Vember »

newChickenMummy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2009, 20:09 »
Arghhhh I give up with the bl**dy thing!!!  :tongue2:

snowflake

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2009, 20:11 »
try this link for stockest see if one in your aera

http://tools.dodsonandhorrell.com/stockists/

they look lovely

Vember

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2009, 21:40 »
Arghhhh I give up with the bl**dy thing!!!  :tongue2:

Hi NCmummy :)

The code you need is the bottom one on photobucket that says IMG Code next to it, if you copy and paste it on to your reply it will show as {IMG}http://i793.photobucket.com/albums/bla bla bla{/IMG} In your reply box.
But the { } bits should actually be [  ]. 
Then when you press preview you will be able to see the picture :)

Hope that makes sense ??? Somehow I doubt it :lol: I have ways of making people more confused :lol:  :wacko:

Sarah :D

henrietta5

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2009, 22:39 »
What fabulous pictures and a lovely set up - although with all those great plants in the background I bet the girls will be planning an escape in their direction !  :)

xx
questions questions any help would be great thanxs

Started by smallholder2010 on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post June 02, 2010, 19:43
by jhub
xx
A few more questions

Started by seanandde on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 28, 2010, 15:41
by Casey76
xx
more questions

Started by walker on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post February 01, 2010, 20:16
by walker
xx
Sad Day Questions

Started by Fisherman on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post May 31, 2010, 18:56
by Silkysmooth

Page created in 0.293 seconds with 37 queries.