A few more questions

• 3 Replies

seanandde

A few more questions
« on: May 28, 2010, 09:20 »
We're collecting our 7 week old chicks in a couple of weeks, roll on the day :)  Random questions keep popping to mind...

When old enough, the three hens will free range half of a fenced off area of our garden.  For water, I'd thought about using a stone trough (or anything equally heavy that will hold water) that I can fill/overflow with fresh water every day from the hose, rather than use a small, plastic waterer in such a large area.  Would this be suitable or is there more of a danger of it becoming contaminated/infection risk with (wild) bird droppings, etc?  We, and neighbouring gardens (one of whom have very well kept chickens and ducks, i.e. no food left around overnight) have a perennial problem with rats, always at the same time of year when the the farmer cuts the crop in the fields behind us.  Would using a large trough for water be a no-no because of the rats, even if refreshed every day?

Another random question on a niggling worry!  The coop we have (4.5' x 3.5') has pre-drilled ventilation holes, roughly 6 in total about the size of a 50p piece.  Is this enough ventilation for hens shut in at night?  Just asking this as I keep reading about 'sufficient ventilation' in hen houses in very sultry, overnight weather such as we had recently.

Many thanks... sorry for the long post :)

Jeanette

Re: A few more questions
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2010, 11:17 »
I would not use a trough for water as chickens  can pick up things from wild birds. It souns as if your coup will have enough ventalation were abouts are the holes as chickens do not cope with draughts very well.

seanandde

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2010, 15:23 »
Drat, right-o, won't use a trough then.  Just hate those waterers; always seem to end up soaking myself, the floor, the cat, etc. 

The ventilation holes are about 3" up from floor level - actually that probably isn't a good place as they would be about chicken height when they're sat in at night and draughty.

Sorry, one more question.  The coop didn't come with 'round' perches as such.  They're meant to perch - difficult to explain - on (any of) the three sort of 3" high x 1" wide slats of wood which are removable and situated on the base of the coop, running front to back.  Aren't chooks meant to have something they can get their feet all the way around?

I'm sure I'm thinking about all this too much.

Casey76

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2010, 15:41 »
Perches shouldn't be completely round (like canary perches are).  Square battens with the edges smothed off are ideal.

xx
questions questions any help would be great thanxs

Started by smallholder2010 on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post June 02, 2010, 19:43
by jhub
xx
Questions Questions Questions...

Started by Lardman on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post September 27, 2008, 20:33
by Foxy
question
Poo help/questions?

Started by B_hibbert on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post November 21, 2012, 08:34
by Sassy
xx
more new mum questions!

Started by jennie hennie on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post August 09, 2011, 07:48
by jennie hennie

Page created in 0.299 seconds with 37 queries.