poorly bantam

• 43 Replies

grumpydad

poorly bantam
« on: August 01, 2009, 10:16 »
we have a poorly buff rock bantam, she is one of 6 hens, and the only one poorly.
she is very lethargic, standing on her own, rocking and closing her eyes. very pale comb and wattles.
all were wormed about 4 weeks ago, she has been broody for 6 weeks, and just came out of it about a week ago. whilst she was broody, i made sure she came out to eat and drink, and seemed fine. also made sure the nest box was cleaned and well treated with anti louse and diatom, checked regularly, and she has no evidence of mite or louse, coop was cleaned a week ago, although there was no evidence of mite.
she is reluctant to eat, and although she pecks, does not pick up all she goes for, but she can see, checked her crop, not impacted, not squidgy or smelly, so i dont think it is sour crop, but she has had live yoghurt.
she had a drop of frontline about 4 days ago, as did they all.
any suggestions welcome.
have isolated her into the shed, with her own food and water, in a large box. left the radio on for company.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: poorly bantam
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2009, 11:15 »
have you treated the coop for red mite - ie poultry shield or such like?
Staffies are softer than you think.

grumpydad

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2009, 11:31 »
yes, last week, emptied, and cleaned throughout. but she is the only one of 6 who is ill.....so far....hope it stays that way

grumpydad

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2009, 20:01 »
well she did not make it, went to the vet today, but she was anemic from sitting too long, even though we took her off the nest several times a day, a lesson leant, even if you see them eat, mix complan and give via a syringe as a supplement

kitkat

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2009, 20:47 »
so sorry you lost her :(
We have 17 chickens, 3 quail, 2 dogs, 3 cats and that's enough (for this week)

WR1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2009, 20:51 »
Sorry to hear about your'e hen :(

Catii
What came first the chicken or the egg ???

What do you put in the toaster ?

joyfull

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2009, 21:23 »
so sorry, sending you hugs xx

grumpydad

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2009, 13:31 »
she had mareks, large white tumors on her liver and kidneys, sad for her to go, but at least i know that it was nothing we had done or could do, shw just went downhill so quickly.
florence the rhode island red, not looking too good either.....just hoping she will be ok...

martyn

grumpydad

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2009, 15:36 »
florence the rhode island red looks like she is going the same way at the moment. on anti biotics, and syringing food into her as well as water to try to give her a chance, she is on the lawn eating grass at the moment. wont be able to tell if she has mareks until she dies and the vet does another autopsy.

BUT....do we re populate or stay with the 4 we have,
till they go ?

grumpydad

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2009, 07:33 »
well florence has made another day. spent ages yesterday hand feeding her. still lethargic, but not anaemic, so we are hoping it is something different. managed to get complan and ground layers mixed with live yogurt into her via a syringe. as well as grapes, strawberries and mealworms.....costing a fortune, but its only money, and i dont care about that, i just want the same florence back. maybe a forlorn hope i know..

she has eaten a bit this morning, but will be back to being syringe fed if she doesnt eat enough on her own.

martyn

kitkat

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2009, 07:41 »
Morning Martyn, I hope Florence picks up, and its not Mareks :(
    I wouldn't restock yet though, if its something contagious they could all get it plus more vet bills :ohmy: Good luck :)

joyfull

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2009, 07:53 »
Hi Martyn, so pleased she has made it through another day, keep up the good work as you are doing a brilliant job. Hugs to Florence xx

Foxy

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2009, 08:44 »
I am really sorry, unfortunately I think she will have contracted Mareks, it is a horrible and highly contagious disease, in most cases fatal and even if they survive, will be carriers of the disease so likely to infect unvaccinated birds. :(

You will need a really good disinfectant like "Virkon S" this will kill the herpes virus, also clean thoroughly and disinfect any equipment you use, feeders, shovels, soles of your garden shoes even.

grumpydad

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2009, 13:44 »
all of the hens came from a reputable breeder and were vaccinated, so in olives case it just didnt work. have fed florence ground up layers and complan through a syringe, 20ml so far today, but she is eating the strawberries and the mealworms on her own this afternoon.
just wandering on the lawn eating grass, she does seem brighter and more alert today.
i accept she may have mareks, but hope it is something else, and her vaccine has worked. at the very least i think i owe it to her to give her a chance. so will keep trying, and take it day by day.

martyn

grumpydad

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2009, 13:50 »
from aunt sally's poo pics, she is passing normal ones, olive was not hers were very green and watery.

martyn

xx
another poorly bantam

Started by grumpydad on The Hen House

18 Replies
Last post August 18, 2009, 16:12
by Big Jen
sad
Help Very poorly Bantam Orpington

Started by FlyBoy on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post September 22, 2009, 19:46
by Chookster
xx
poorly bantam chick.

Started by joyfull on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post June 20, 2009, 16:01
by Kate and her Ducks
xx
best looking bantam

Started by poultrypeople on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post August 28, 2011, 18:12
by sarah1983jane

Page created in 0.429 seconds with 37 queries.