Fly Trap

• 13 Replies

Flowerpower136

Fly Trap
« on: July 31, 2009, 17:11 »
Sorry to bring up such an awful subject when we are all in high spririts re the pick ups tomorrow.......but.........our fly trap.......OMG!

Its 'heaving', and I just don't know where it's all going to end.  Eeeughk!

It's a red top.  Would post a picture, but you'd all pass out with the shock and horror of it.

Still about 6 inch of water in it, then 6 inch solid heaving mass of flies dead and alive on top of the water, the whole thing is buzzing, stinking, and I just don't know what to do about it. 

Is it supposed to be like that?  I've never used one before.  What happens at 'the end', do I bag it up and dispose of it whilst there all in their buzzing?  Or will they all die as the weather gets colder?  Thing the thing will be fit to burst by then.

And.... it's in this state now without a chicken in sight.  The girls don't arrive till tomorrow! 

janet12000

Re: Fly Trap
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2009, 18:03 »
my red top thingy is vile. full of flies after 6 weeks.  :tongue2:
i'm gonna get rid of mine and get a new one. it works though!  :D

Flowerpower136

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2009, 09:11 »
Agree, works like a dream.

But is your's half full of live buzzing ones?  They're not drowning just swarming above the solid wadge of dead ones. 

Not sure how to dispose of the thing.  Drop the lot in triple strength bin bag, and hope the bin men don't notice the buzzing!!!!  Probably end up with environmental health on the door step!

themagicaltoad1

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2009, 09:18 »
These things sound great, can anyone post a pic so I know what to look out for in the shops?

Flowerpower136

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2009, 10:57 »
Just Google, Red Top Fly Trap.  Lots of the chicken supply websites have them, but I got them cheapest on ebay.

Can post a pic if you insist, but really, whilst they are undoubtedly effective, they are truley gastley things to look at. And you can't just tuck them out of the way, they need sunlight to work!

janet12000

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2009, 11:04 »
mine is a half dead/half buzzing bag of nastiness!
i'll go and take a pic later if i remember......not sure if the camera will do it justice though. :tongue2:

Flowerpower136

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2009, 11:20 »
Thanks Janet, that at least is reassuring.  That must be how they are meant to be.  But how do you dispose of them? 

I've checked the instructions and it says to slit the bag ....... seriously!  and either bury the contents or add it to your compost.

I'm gagging at the thought.  Are you going to put it in your bin?

janet12000

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2009, 11:25 »
I know it says add to the compost but I do not intend to. :tongue2:

I was gonna just bag it up and put out with the rubbish.....never thought about the buzzing!

janet12000

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2009, 16:02 »
Its not buzzing much today cause its really wet here so I think the flies are hiding.
But this is it..... gross. :tongue2:
red top0001.jpg

poppies

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2009, 16:27 »
Not bragging but mine has maggots

these things are disgusting -  but they work

nzdunn

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2009, 16:31 »
 :tongue2: :tongue2: thats gross,    i didnt have much luck with them, it was something similar to yours, i got two one for the guinea pigs garage, hung it outside and another for the chucks, hung them up before the chucks arrived caused i guessed flies would come once girlies arrived, about 3-4wks in i had a massive fly problem, they were all in my house, the windows were full of them,  it really freaked me out and i was so upset, they were all in my neighbours house too, so took both down and disposed of them and then within 2 days no more flies, honestly i reckon i attracted the flies to me because of the attractant in the bag and it stunk, it was alwful.   Ive had the girls 8wks now and no flies, well apart from the odd one flying around the poo.   I would advise if you dont have a fly problem to start with then dont hang them cause you will bring flies to you.      nickyx
« Last Edit: August 01, 2009, 16:32 by nzdunn »

janet12000

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2009, 16:31 »
Lol. Mine has maggots too.
Maybe we should start a 'who's got the worst red top' competition!

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2009, 16:36 »
Thats not too bad Janet think mine looks worse than that  :ohmy:

Anyhow put them in the bin double bagged, flies carry terrible diseases like dysentery etc etc  you don't want that in a residential compost heap.
Any one who wants one you'll find them on ebay sold by the registered supplier or go straight to www.ashmoat.com    and next year they will send you an offer for discounted ones  :D

nzdunn did you put them near the house ! you only need 1 for about an acre of coverage and they need to be about 5m from the problem and as far from the house as possible.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2009, 16:40 by richyrich7 »
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

janet12000

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2009, 16:50 »
I got mine from ashmoat via ebay and the service was great. The first one arrived damaged and after I emailed them they sent a replacement with no questions asked.  :)
My red top lives at the top of the garden away from the house and I am amazed at the amount of flies that go in there. :tongue2:  I thought it was weird putting it away from the problem area but it obviously works. :)

xx
i have got a trap for rat

Started by karlooben on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post December 20, 2008, 20:40
by karlooben
clip
fly trap

Started by Mrs Bee on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post August 14, 2013, 13:22
by ANHBUC
xx
Fox Trap.

Started by pennsylvania planters on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post May 02, 2009, 08:33
by cathangirl
xx
Fenn Trap?

Started by Goldfinger on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post October 03, 2012, 20:40
by ehs284

Page created in 0.24 seconds with 28 queries.