Firefly is really illl!

• 9 Replies

Elly

Firefly is really illl!
« on: July 22, 2009, 14:09 »
My pet hen Firefly is really sick. She stands in the run looking misreble and with her eyes shut. She won`t eat anything and she`s going to die! I love her so much and all the other chickens eat any food we put out for her. Please help.
Elly
() ()
(. .)

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
Re: Firefly is really illl!
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2009, 14:15 »
hello!
get her seperated and have a feel of her all over does her crop feel full? is she snezzing or wheezing? have a gentle feel of her abdomen (between breast bone and vent) can you feel an egg? has she laid recently?

Debbie
thinks her guardian angel`s gone on strike !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2009, 14:17 »
sorry! welcome to the forum!

you could also try and get a bit of water into her (i use a straw dipped it water and put it to the side of her beak) keep her warm in a cardboard box inside if you can!

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2009, 14:17 »
Hello Elly, welcome to the Hen House

Is her tail down? I'm guessing she has her head tucked right into her neck and is looking sorry for herself?

Firstly, how long have you been keeping hens?  There are some things that new hen keepers don't have experience of and therefore it can scare when bad things happen.

Is she in lay?  if so, when did she last lay an egg?

Are your other hens OK?

When did you last worm them and check them for lice?

There are lots more questions that can, and will probably need to be asked so that we can help you but that is enough from me just now.

P.S. Please be prepared to take her to the vets if she gets worse; at the best they may be able to cure her, at worst they could put her out of her misery  :(

Elly

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2009, 20:45 »
We`ve tried the cardboard box and put her on the boiler. She is really tame and perches on my arm when I call her. It`s hard to feed her as her rear end is dirty and she gets chicken poo on your coat. We don`t want to risk bathing her incase she catches a cold. And she`s an egg stuck in her.
Elly
() ()
(. .)

Elly

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2009, 20:53 »
Hi, Elly's mum here.  Thanks to everyone who replied to her secret SOS re Firefly, her favourite hen.  We think Firefly was eggbound, but sadly only realised too late to save her.   Next time we'll try this forum sooner! Bye for now.

lucylou

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2009, 22:00 »
hi elly and elly's mum

so sorry to hear about firefly :(  i hope you can take comfort in the fact that she was obviously a well loved pet and had a happy life

lucyloux

dizzylizzie

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2009, 22:58 »
Ahh...im really sorry about firefly....sending hugs x

Elly

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2009, 16:35 »
Bad news. Poor Fires was so ill this morning Mum and I took her to the vet. Sadly, we said goodbye and our hen was put down. I made her a grave and we will never forget her.
 :-(

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2009, 16:37 »
I'm so sorry Firefly didn't make it. A few of us seem to have lost beloved animal friends recently. My heart goes out to you.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

Page created in 0.242 seconds with 36 queries.