Help cockerel going down hill fast

• 8 Replies

brahma

Help cockerel going down hill fast
« on: July 29, 2009, 22:48 »
 Jeffrey my sons 2 year old Brahma cockerel is going down hill fast, He had an eye infection a few weeks ago ( got some ointment from the vet and it cleared up). A week or so ago his combe started to go pale and he went off his food, started to hunch up, got the runs and just looked down. Thought he had sour crop as it was a bit squisshy so gave him yogurt for a few days, crop seems normal ( empty becaue he wont eat) but tonight looked like he may not make the morning.

Strange thing is this will be the third cockerel of around 2 that we have lost for no obvious reason, but never had a poorly hen (or lost any chicks)  :(

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: Help cockerel going down hill fast
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2009, 23:18 »
Did you take him to the vets for the crop problem ?

brahma

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2009, 23:21 »
Hi Aunt Sally, hoped you would be around...no every time we take a bird to the vet we walk out £45 lighter... though seeing my sons face tonight i suspect we will be there again in the morning if Jeffrey (i dont name them  ;)) is still with us

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2009, 23:27 »
I know what you mean.  My biggest vet bill for a chooks was £300+  but mine are pets and most pet owners would pay that for treatment for a cat or dog so I will for my pets.

Jeffery does need a course of antibiotics and probably rehydration.  If he pulls through get some Avipro Plus (from your vet or on line) which is a probiotic very good for getting the gut back into good condition after antibiotics.

Let us know how he is getting on.

brahma

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2009, 23:37 »
Thanks Aunt Sally  :) i will let you know, it seems a bit hit and miss around here with vets..... cats, dogs, horses are fine but pull a checken out of a hat and they scratch their heads. Still puzzled with the strange way we only lose cockerels but have no problems with the girls ???

meterman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2009, 09:23 »
Men die younger with 1 wife, how many do your cockerels have  ::)

brahma

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2009, 11:18 »
Good point meterman  :) Jeff has 12 ladies and 20 children to look after....one of the ladies offered herself this morning and he was not interested which is unlike him...he would roger the cat if he could catch her. So obviuosly he made it through the night. My wife and children took him to the vet this morning $$$$. No clear diagnosis but a course of antibiotic injections, and suggested feed him readybrek and mashed up eggs. Time will tell.

Still really perplexed why we lose the boys but never the girls, they are all wormed, dusted and loved equally.....maybe men areally not supposed to live as long as their spouses  :wub:

brahma

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2009, 11:39 »
Not good today....i think we waited to long before going to the vet even if the antibiotics work, Jef is so weak not sure he will pull through. Chickens go downhill so fast its always difficult to guess when to "wait and see" and when to seek attention. Children are off to the seaside for the weekend.....if Jef's not here when they get back i'd better pack my bags.

nzdunn

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2009, 12:31 »
 :ohmy: oh poor jeff, fingers crossed for him i hope the antibiotics start to kick in for him, keep us posted,   nicky

xx
Chalk Hill Poultry

Started by bashful_badger on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post September 02, 2009, 11:58
by JEZZIE
xx
hen put weight on fast

Started by gaz.grace on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 06, 2009, 21:04
by Foxy
xx
Need hens fast!

Started by Tulip on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post June 09, 2007, 11:34
by Tulip
xx
R-COM 20 PRO HELP NEEDED FAST

Started by naturesparadise on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post May 27, 2008, 17:37
by naturesparadise

Page created in 0.554 seconds with 36 queries.